This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Avast or MSE, alongside Malwarebytes.

#11KaushadPosted 8/4/2013 7:11:15 AM
MSE + Malwarebytes+cccleaner/asc + noscript + adblock + ghostery makes your computer immune.
---
I stopped watching comedy on TV when I found the jimquisition and zero punctuation.
#12AlexTheNextOnePosted 8/4/2013 7:12:13 AM
Nortonlol

You can't really go wrong with either MSE or Avast, though I personally find MSE to be a bit faster overall.

If you want moderately stronger protection, though, go with Avast.

The only thing that for SURE you should be using, though, is Malwarebytes. Maybe SuperAntiSpyware as a backup, though that's up to you.

Spywareblaster couldn't hurt, either, but that's not a real-time/on-demand scanner, it's really more "preventive" than the others.
---
Read everything, listen to everybody, believe nothing, until you can prove it through your own research. For that is the true mark of intelligence.
#13Love_Me_SexyPosted 8/4/2013 7:20:58 AM
Kaushad posted...
MSE + Malwarebytes+cccleaner/asc + noscript + adblock + ghostery makes your computer immune.

I use slim cleaner rather than ccleaner. It has a few more options and picked up things ccleaner missed.
---
PS4 preordered! X1 Day 1 preordered!
PC Wishlist: 27" IPS, MB/RAM/CPU/GPU/PSU, 4TB HDD, KB
#14Chaos_MissilePosted 8/4/2013 7:36:10 AM
DerPancake posted...
Skul_ posted...
DerPancake posted...
Norton is one of the best antivirus. I don't know what you are smoking.

Its not free, and its also worse than both Avast and MSE.

"There are many other differences between Norton Antivirus and Microsoft Security essentials. But we recommend Norton over MSE because it provides more features and has the ability to protect you from the newest threats. MSE is a relatively new product and many of its features and tools are still not as strong as those found in Norton."

*citation needed*

Last time I used Norton, it was one of the heaviest anti-virus I've ever used. Always slowed down my PCs to a crawl everytime I start it up. And let's not get started when its scanning.

I've since switched to Avast and have not looked back since. I like Avast. Pretty fast, pretty powerful, constant updates and not really intrusive...except for those "this program is outdated. Please update" in the recent versions.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#15RhymefestPosted 8/4/2013 8:28:12 AM
Skul_ posted...
i also run common sense 2013.

this is a good one
#16LMTTNPosted 8/4/2013 8:42:44 AM
Avast by a long shot.
---
Steam: Macintosh Plus | PSN: letmetrythisname
Now Playing: Eve Online, Mechwarrior Online
#17Tony_Biggie_PunPosted 8/4/2013 8:46:08 AM
Bitdefender is better than both
---
http://i.imgur.com/Z3MIjNj.jpg
#18JockoPosted 8/4/2013 8:52:03 AM
iscareu13 posted...
MSE has failed me too many times.

A few weeks ago, I didn't feel like dealing with the noscript options to do a quick check of a team's record on ESEA... Checked it on IE thinking I would be fine with the well known site and my MSE... Got a virus that completely crashed my computer and had to reformat.

Really? You really just went to play.esea.net and that's all and got a virus?

MSE in the past (back in 2010 - before I was using noscript), it also missed two passive viruses when I was simply browsing the web.

What sites did you go to when you were "simply browsing the web"? Were you using Windows 7? Has Avira actively caught any viruses while you were browsing the web? If so what sites were you at? Does anyone else use your computer?

I'm sorry to ask all these questions but I'm surprised how people get viruses these days. It seems like I would actively go out of my way to get one on purpose.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#19PathlessBulletPosted 8/4/2013 9:01:47 AM
I love Avast. It has never failed me.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#20iscareu13Posted 8/4/2013 9:12:42 AM
Jocko posted...
iscareu13 posted...
MSE has failed me too many times.

A few weeks ago, I didn't feel like dealing with the noscript options to do a quick check of a team's record on ESEA... Checked it on IE thinking I would be fine with the well known site and my MSE... Got a virus that completely crashed my computer and had to reformat.

Really? You really just went to play.esea.net and that's all and got a virus?

I know it sounds like complete bullcrap... but I'm not joking.

I was playing some CS:GO with my team. I just found a scrim against another team in our CEVO league. We asked their record and they said "2-1, but we also play ESEA". So I went to the ESEA site to check out their record...

Literally the ONLY things I had open:
Ventrilo
Firefox (noscript) - Gamefaqs, Youtube, Newegg, Cevo
IE - ESEA (<Only thing I was actively using at the time)
CS:GO
HWMontior

When I clicked the link to the standings page on ESEA, I got hit by a virus. The virus took over my entire computer, even in Safe Mode... I decided to reformat because I didn't feel like dealing with it.

Jocko posted...
iscareu13 posted...
MSE in the past (back in 2010 - before I was using noscript), it also missed two passive viruses when I was simply browsing the web.

What sites did you go to when you were "simply browsing the web"? Were you using Windows 7? Has Avira actively caught any viruses while you were browsing the web? If so what sites were you at? Does anyone else use your computer?

I'm sorry to ask all these questions but I'm surprised how people get viruses these days. It seems like I would actively go out of my way to get one on purpose.

I couldn't tell you what I was browsing at the time because I simply don't know (explained in next paragraph). I can tell you that I don't use any sketchy sites though. All the sites I use most users here would know of all of them.

MSE didn't detect anything up front (which is why I don't know where I got them). They only appeared when I actually went and ran a full system scan. The viruses didn't have any signs and they weren't the terrible ones that make your computer unusable. However, when I google'd one of them... it was known to do keylogging.

Yes, I was running Windows 7 and I was the only user.

I only used Avira for a short period in 2010, and I got annoyed because it kept sending me alerts that a Steam game (L4D IIRC) was a virus. Obviously it was wrong... At that point I switched back to MSE and ran fine with it until earlier this year when I decided to not use noscript for a short moment.