This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My friend wants to build a PC with a budget of 800 GBP

#1VarandilPosted 8/4/2013 2:02:24 AM
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1o3AP

That's what I've put together but I'm no real expert... can anyone suggest improvements?
---
XBL + Origin: Varandil
Currently playing: FM2013, Crusader Kings 2, Rising Storm
#2SlaynPosted 8/4/2013 2:06:10 AM
I don't really feel like searching for all the parts myself, but a few notes:

1. The cpu doesn't overclock unless it's a K model. Just letting you know. If you don't care, or the K is just too much more, don't worry.

2. Using 2x4gb is better than 1x8gb.

3. The video card is a little underpowered.

4. The PSU could also be underpowered.

Really the only thing you should definetely change is the memory. The others are up to you. Also consider finding a cheap used monitor, if you have local ads like Craigslist.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#3Varandil(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2013 2:23:23 AM
Thanks for the help.

Overclocking won't be required at all, so that's not a concern

Didn't know that about the RAM, will change it

I stuck with that video card because he really only wants the PC for the usual MS office stuff, a few games that are more processor intensive than graphics intensive like the Football Manager games and maybe a few other games, but nothing spectacular

According to the site, the estimated wattage is 238W, so I figured a 380W PSU would be more than sufficient. Is that wrong?
---
#4greenyoshi46Posted 8/4/2013 2:38:30 AM
Varandil posted...
Thanks for the help.

I stuck with that video card because he really only wants the PC for the usual MS office stuff, a few games that are more processor intensive than graphics intensive like the Football Manager games and maybe a few other games, but nothing spectacular

According to the site, the estimated wattage is 238W, so I figured a 380W PSU would be more than sufficient. Is that wrong?

Never trust those estimated wattages, they are never correct. might be enough though
---
(English is not my first language, Swedish is. So respect typos)
#5Varandil(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2013 3:01:59 AM
OK so I changed the RAM to 2 4GB sticks and changed the PSU to a Corsair 430W. Everything look ok now?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1o40Z

It's marginally over budget but I'm sure he can cope with that.
---
#6reincarnator07Posted 8/4/2013 3:26:20 AM
You could save a few quid by dropping the RAM down to 1333MHz. In addition, the original PSU would have been sufficient.

What is this computer being used for? If it's mainly for office work, you could probably get away with the integrated graphics. They are more than sufficient for light gaming these days. If it's mainly for gaming, I'd probably jump to AMD in this price range. This would allow you to get a better GPU.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#7KOTRwhoopsPosted 8/4/2013 4:01:19 AM(edited)
Varandil posted...
Thanks for the help.

For Football Manager, it's 32bit do you can only use up to 4GB of RAM if I remember correctly. You won't need a very powerful graphics card for the 3D match engine but to have all the detail and a smooth experience you may need a bit better than integrated graphics.

If he is looking to play with a large database and lot's of leagues on, it's all about a fast processor. FM will use all cores available so the more powerful the processor (CPU) the faster it will run. The processor you've picked will smash that game out of the park, he'll be able to run loads of league with a large database.

I play a lot of Football Manager... Addictive...
---
PLAYING - Xenoblade (Wii), Fire Emblem: A (3DS), Pikmin 3 (WU)
MOST WANTED - GTAV, Lightning Returns, FFXV, Watchdogs, X, KHIII
#8maybecallsPosted 8/4/2013 4:23:51 AM
How about a less expensive/different chipset motherboard, if he isn't going to be overclocking the CPU?
#9SnadadosPosted 8/4/2013 7:14:04 AM
I suggest a cheaper motherboard if he is not overclocking, an H87 model maybe, and a bit more powerful PSU to handle possible future upgrades.

Here is an example with the suggested changes.
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1o6uY
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#10Rogziel2kPosted 8/7/2013 12:58:04 PM
Yea if he is using this for casual gaming and office stuff...you should look at the AMD A series chips...and mobo...its going to be cheaper then the i5 and you dont need a video card. the onboard video coupled with the APU in the A series should be enough to run games like football manger and stuff....now if he wants to play a more 3d intense game he can upgrade to a discrete video card later on.
---
AMD FX 8320, 16GB DDR3 1600, 128 GB SSD, 1TB WD Green 7200RPM, 1 TB Seagate 7200 HD, AMD 7870 2 GDDR5 ram,