This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is this a good laptop for my needs?

#11DoramiPosted 8/4/2013 9:07:12 AM
I used a 1280x800 resolution laptop during law school. It sucked whenever I needed to refer to a different window for information, which was often because the primary research tools I used were online. The referring process was better when I was using books, but using books meant I had to transcribe passages quite a bit, which meant an overall process that was no better.

Maybe the prices in Australia makes the price premium not worth it, but I'd strongly recommend trying for a 1600x900 or 1920x1080 resolution laptop. There are ones with those resolutions on 15.6" screens on the website you linked.
---
"Why do ppl say Steam/PC has DRM? The only thing steam does is prevent piracy, and there's nothing wrong with that." - Oil_Rope_Bombs
#12TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2013 9:18:41 AM
Dorami posted...
I used a 1280x800 resolution laptop during law school. It sucked whenever I needed to refer to a different window for information, which was often because the primary research tools I used were online. The referring process was better when I was using books, but using books meant I had to transcribe passages quite a bit, which meant an overall process that was no better.

Maybe the prices in Australia makes the price premium not worth it, but I'd strongly recommend trying for a 1600x900 or 1920x1080 resolution laptop. There are ones with those resolutions on 15.6" screens on the website you linked.

I will look around some more. In case I couldn't find something worth the price then I guess I would stick with my PC I guess. I used to do papers on my 13' Macbook pro and it was a nightmare at times. It died on me when I had to do my papers for last semester but I had to purchase word on my PC and I guess I would stick with working with my PC since it was easy putting the case on one side and word on the other. I am also more comfortable working on my desk though (its little and my MKB,speaker,and monitor leaves no room for other stuff). I also want something that I could put on my folding table and play while watching telly in the living room.

Yeah Australian prices are pretty expensive and worst part is I don't know that many computer shops that is like the link I have given in the post. I got my PC from them and they are pretty helpful and not like the other retail where they would suggest expensive ones that are crappy. Also the selections aren't that good since they only have ultrabooks and the other laptops on that link are a bit out of my range. That is the only one that looks like a value for my money.

So for now its either I get a good laptop for my $1500 or just upgrade my PC with it.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#13DragnfyrPosted 8/4/2013 9:21:31 AM
I wouldn't recommend going higher than 1600x900 on a 15" laptop. Everything becomes way too small.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.8.4 | Windows 8 Pro