This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building a PC is ****ing addicting.

#11HydroCannabinolPosted 8/4/2013 9:56:56 AM
TowerBooks3192 posted...
I wanted to build one myself but now I am scared of taking my PC apart since I only payed the shop to put it together for me (could have saved that $80!). Now I want to open it up and clean it but I am scared that I might break some parts.

You will only break the parts if you purposely do so... I mean it's hard to 'accidentally' break your parts unless you drop them or rub static all over them... both of which can be easily prevented!

I suggest perhaps looking up a youtube video so you feel comfortable and of course look up tips to keep you grounded like always keeping flesh on the metal chassis. Once that's over with, you can easily take parts out, clean them etc.

Hell, you don't have to take anything apart to clean it, just open the case and blow out all the dust! ^_^
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#12Dollarman_2005Posted 8/4/2013 10:22:56 AM
About to build myself a new computer here in a few weeks. Only one I've built for myself (not including friends' over the years) was 3 years ago and it's showing its age and I can see the poor decisions I made when I built it.

Going to be fun to do again. I was more excited than my roommate was when he ordered his parts this winter because I just love even the smell of the new electronics when they come out of the box.
#13Rexdragon125Posted 8/4/2013 10:31:12 AM(edited)
I find building a PC to be a tedious ****pile when something goes wrong. Oh look the PSU doesn't work. Oops this next PSU doesn't work either. Now my motherboard doesn't work. It boots but now my GPU is crashing. God ****ing dammit what a bunch of ****. And yes I know what the good brands are before some wiseass informs me. Using mainly Asus, Seasonic, EVGA parts.

Ironically my most reliable PCs have been laptops.
#14SpacewhizguyPosted 8/4/2013 11:04:24 AM
Rexdragon125 posted...
I find building a PC to be a tedious ****pile

Yeah. Over the years, it's just become more and more of a pain to build a computer. I've had a 4770K + mobo sitting around for two months now and I still haven't bothered to build a new comp with it (still using a Core 2 E8500, so it's not like I couldn't use the upgrade). I'd just rather spend my time on other things now.
---
What's a sig?
#15FullFrayDogPosted 8/4/2013 1:34:06 PM
Rexdragon125 posted...
I find building a PC to be a tedious ****pile when something goes wrong. Oh look the PSU doesn't work. Oops this next PSU doesn't work either. Now my motherboard doesn't work. It boots but now my GPU is crashing. God ****ing dammit what a bunch of ****. And yes I know what the good brands are before some wiseass informs me. Using mainly Asus, Seasonic, EVGA parts.

Ironically my most reliable PCs have been laptops.

I feel you on that. A lot of the younger guys on here have built one or two pc's. It is a totally different experience when you get something busted straight from the manufacturer. It's even more frustrating when you're doing repair work for someone and catch that 1/100,000 or so dud.

When everything works, it's still awesome though. Way better than trying to repair cell phones.
---
"Nerf Rock, leave Paper"-- Scissors.
#16NicodimusPosted 8/4/2013 1:57:30 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
You will always be tempted to do upgrades even when it's not necessary.

Yeah, but really, it's almost never necessary. A gaming rig is a luxury.
---
My movie and gaming room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#17rainedownPosted 8/4/2013 2:15:36 PM
I feel ya, tc--I was so addicted on my last rebuild I accidentally ordered multiples of certain parts lol. Still have a 212 evo sitting in the corner that I have no use for, just couldn't stop...it's particularly sad since I was only supposed to upgrade the CPU and ended up doing the mobo, graphics card, ssd, heat sink and case fans lol.
#18smokie58401Posted 8/4/2013 3:41:14 PM
iscareu13 posted...
Star_Nuts posted...
I was so afraid to build my first and regretted it every step of the way but once I finished, I was amazed it worked. Now I can't stop looking up computer parts and wishing I would have used this over that. Can't wait to build another in a few years.

I went through that too.

For about two years after building my first PC, I spent a lot of time researching parts and putting together fun/dream builds. Regulars from ~4 years ago probably remember all my annoying topics where I showed off wishlists I put together <.<

I was a regular lurker, I remember you. Wow time flies.

It's true about building. It's a whole hobby in itself, you never are truly done. Building that first one opens the door to many things.
---
Beware of TC the bear.
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/3610/tc2t.png
#19vinnied717Posted 8/4/2013 4:05:48 PM
ThePCElitist posted...
You will always be tempted to do upgrades even when it's not necessary. Be careful.

Like the Gtx760 I just purchased over my old 460 lol. In the grand scheme of things @ 1080P it hasn't made a huge difference.
#20Digital StormPosted 8/4/2013 5:02:03 PM
Having built some 75+ machines over the last fifteen years I find it tiresome, boring and tedious.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.