This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to PC gaming.

#1Sk8terZeroPosted 8/4/2013 8:57:50 AM
Hi all. I have never really gamed on a PC but I want to start getting into it. I recently bought an Asus M11BB-B05 with a Radeon 8350 GPU and an AMD A8 APU with 12 GB of RAM. In fact here is a link to the same computer since I'm sure it will be more helpful .

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Essentio+Desktop+-+1...

My buddy was helping me and said this was good to start with because the RAM could upgrade to like 64 and the graphics card wasn't integrated.

Anyway like I said I want to start gaming. I have Civ 5 already but would like to get Sim City and Skyrim in the near future. I want to run Civ 5 at the highest possible settings so I wanted some help on which route to go. If I get a new graphics card do I need a new power supply? Can I get any brand of a card even though the stock is an AMD?

Also I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this but what do I need to get to make my PC wifi enabled and is there something I can buy that makes the PC output through HDMI? Thanks for all the help in advance, its the only way I'll learn.
---
Boston Red Sox Miami Dolphins Palermo FC Liverpool FC
Leave the gun, Take the canolli.-The Godfather Part I
#2MI2DragonPosted 8/4/2013 9:01:49 AM
Sk8terZero posted...
My buddy was helping me and said this was good to start with because the RAM could upgrade to like 64

>_>
#3DragnfyrPosted 8/4/2013 9:05:20 AM(edited)
You shouldn't buy a computer that you know needs to be upgraded right away. Return that computer and get a custom built gaming PC. If you don't want to build it yourself there are many sites that offer build-to-order PCs.
Also pretty much all modern graphics cards output through HDMI.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.8.4 | Windows 8 Pro
#4ivanwind15Posted 8/4/2013 9:05:51 AM
Yeah, your friend doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. Prebuilts in the first place have limited upgrade options and AMD A8 cpus are weak. Intel cpus are much better
---
My gaming Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ramblingtoad
#5DragnfyrPosted 8/4/2013 9:14:04 AM
Yeah the AMD A series CPUs are not good for gaming either. They are meant for people who are okay with integrated graphics because they provide superior integrated graphics performance at the expense of reduced CPU performance. Since you're going to be installing a graphics card you don't need good integrated graphics performance.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.8.4 | Windows 8 Pro
#6Sk8terZero(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2013 9:14:59 AM
Alright I appreciate your help but I preferred to go to Best Buy because the only credit card I have is specifically for Best Buy and with the 18 months no interest they offer, its the only way I would be able to afford a PC at this time. Is there anything I can do to help increase the performance on the PC I already bought?
---
Boston Red Sox Miami Dolphins Palermo FC Liverpool FC
Leave the gun, Take the canolli.-The Godfather Part I
#7DBNULLdPosted 8/4/2013 9:19:21 AM
No. Now close that credit card to an overpriced electronics store and get an Amazon.com credit card instead.
---
Hee-ho.
#8tinfoil21Posted 8/4/2013 9:26:29 AM
Sk8terZero posted...
Alright I appreciate your help but I preferred to go to Best Buy because the only credit card I have is specifically for Best Buy and with the 18 months no interest they offer, its the only way I would be able to afford a PC at this time. Is there anything I can do to help increase the performance on the PC I already bought?

Well most people wouldn't recommend having an AMD CPU, but then that would lead to changing the Motherboard. The list can just go on and on. And since the website isn't telling me the watts on it's Power Supply, I can assume it barely meeting requirements in it's current state.

Not trying to sound rude, it's just not the best to work with a prebuilt. You can literally take the money you spent on the prebuilt, buy better parts yourself (with some help from the PC board, of course :D), and you'd end up spending the same amount. And it's thrown around here all the time, but truly, it's not hard to build a computer.
---
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? You're a mile away and have his shoes.
#9DerPancakePosted 8/4/2013 9:45:58 AM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computers-PCs/Video-Cards-PC-Components/abcat0507000.c?id=abcat0507000

You will not find them cheaper like if you ordered from the internet, but if you insist on buying from Best Buy then this would be better than buying a prebuilt.

If you need help with the parts, just tell me your budget and I will gladly help you.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
#10DragnfyrPosted 8/4/2013 9:54:36 AM
Even if you have to buy at Best Buy there are better choices. Find something an Intel Core i5 and 4-8GB of RAM. That would provide a much better base computer to upgrade from.
---