This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it safe to sell a used windows full version?

#1MrXGamerPosted 8/4/2013 7:01:52 PM
I mean, does Microsoft connect your serial # with your account and store personal information in some way? I have a full version of Vista ultimate that I want to sell, which I had connected with one PC a while back. Just want to make sure its safe before i sell it to a random stranger.
---
Asus Z77 Sabertooth | i7 3770k | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 1600MHz | Crucial m4 SSD | Blu-ray | Win 7 x64
#2Incendia_IntusPosted 8/4/2013 7:09:15 PM
I believe you can only sell the disk as a "replacement media." I don't think it's technically legal to resell the license key.
---
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 | i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz| Phantek PH-TC14PE| EVGA GTX 580 | G.SKILL Sniper 8GB | OCZ Vertex 2 40GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | HAF 912 | HX750 750W
#3DoramiPosted 8/4/2013 7:13:03 PM
The full version can be transferred once. Just make sure you use a different key for your computer once you sell the copy.
---
"Why do ppl say Steam/PC has DRM? The only thing steam does is prevent piracy, and there's nothing wrong with that." - Oil_Rope_Bombs
#4MrXGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2013 7:39:56 PM
Yeah, I use windows 7 now so the key is obviously different. I made a deal with the person that I'd only sell it if he buys it with my previous motherboard that I activated it on, so I'm assuming it should have no problem activating again?
---
Asus Z77 Sabertooth | i7 3770k | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 1600MHz | Crucial m4 SSD | Blu-ray | Win 7 x64
#5DoramiPosted 8/4/2013 8:01:29 PM(edited)
The full retail version of Windows is not tied to a mobo (It was around $700 for Vista Ultimate, IIRC), so you don't need to demand that he buy the mobo with it. If it fails to activate automatically because you previously activated it too many times (5 times), simply call the activation line and get the activation code. Because your buyer can truthfully answer that the copy is only being installed on one computer, this is perfectly legal.
---
"Why do ppl say Steam/PC has DRM? The only thing steam does is prevent piracy, and there's nothing wrong with that." - Oil_Rope_Bombs