This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do I find out which part of my PC is making a weird noise?

#1Tyranius2Posted 8/4/2013 7:24:51 PM(edited)
A few days ago my PC started making this weird noise. Can't describe how it is, but it never made that noise before.

The sound is always there, but it's almost unnoticeable when idling. When I game the noise gets noticeable and I'm almost sure it's fan related and it's not my PSU so I'm thinking either GPU or CPU. There's been no change in temps when idling or gaming, games still run the same away. Is this a bad omen or am I just being paranoid?
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#2PhilOnDezPosted 8/4/2013 7:32:32 PM
When I first installed the stock intel heatsink I didn't undo the wire where it was held by clips and wrapped all around the outside. This led to the wire just barely being touched by the edge of the fan. I ended up just having to undo the whole thing and pull the wire tightly away from the heatsink.

It wasn't loud until I started actually using my pc, then it got pretty noisy.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3MrXGamerPosted 8/4/2013 7:51:36 PM
It could be your GPU depending on what game you're playing. Some games that have high-end graphics and use every fancy feature can make your GPU throw funny noises. Just use a third party program and check the GPU usage... if it's at 99%, then it most likely makes the noise.
---
Asus Z77 Sabertooth | i7 3770k | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 1600MHz | Crucial m4 SSD | Blu-ray | Win 7 x64
#4KURRUPTORPosted 8/4/2013 8:40:23 PM
Might sound obvious but you could just open up your case wait for the noise to start then lean your head in there and use your ears to hear where/what the sound is coming from.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#5Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2013 8:43:39 PM
KURRUPTOR posted...
Might sound obvious but you could just open up your case wait for the noise to start then lean your head in there and use your ears to hear where/what the sound is coming from.

Already did that. I couldn't exactly narrow down if it's the CPU or GPU, the fans are a bit close to each other. I'll be more thorough next time.
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#6ATARIJAWAPosted 8/5/2013 3:49:16 AM
Is it a persistent ticking or clicking noise? if it is it usually means your hdd is failing.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 104