This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do "indie" games over estimate requirements?

#1CammyApplePosted 8/5/2013 2:33:50 AM
Looking at some of the indie games I wonder if the "minimum" is really what is needed.

Most notably Fez and Legend of Grimrock. I've been interested in them, but the requirements have thrown me for a loop.

(I'm pretty certain Fez wouldn't give me issue but LoG probably would.)
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#2claytonbuckleyPosted 8/5/2013 3:14:13 AM
Every single game ever has understated the minimum system requirements, so they sell more.

Indie or AAA, they all lie. They get away with it because they are telling the truth kinda. It is the minimum system requirement, but they are just to launch the game, not to actually play it. If you need to know system requirements for a game, look them up on a website or something. Do not trust what the publisher has put on a box.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/somonah/
#3EinhanderIIPosted 8/5/2013 5:57:05 AM
A lot of indie devs are incompetent and/or lazy and don't know what "optimization" means, which is why you get games that look like they were released in the mid 90s but require modern dual core systems.

There is absolutely no reason why a game like Fez should require a C2D at 2.8GHz.
#4MwulfPosted 8/5/2013 6:14:17 AM
Yes, those requirements are accurate.

System requirements don't really have much to do with the quality of a game's visual elements... they're more about how well the game is optimized. Legend of Grimrock, for example, is very poorly optimized. My laptop with an HD4000 can do Skyrim at a stable 30fps, but Grimrock stutters along at 10-15fps.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#5GarquillPosted 8/5/2013 6:29:48 AM
there's a certain difficulty in testing on many types of computers when you're making a game in your bedroom on your own
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#6SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/5/2013 6:44:31 AM
EinhanderII posted...
A lot of indie devs are incompetent and/or lazy and don't know what "optimization" means, which is why you get games that look like they were released in the mid 90s but require modern dual core systems.

There is absolutely no reason why a game like Fez should require a C2D at 2.8GHz.

They don't have the funding to buy the hardware necessary to optimize.

You can't optimize it for hardware you don't have.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#7happyscrub1Posted 8/5/2013 6:56:07 AM
claytonbuckley posted...
Every single game ever has understated the minimum system requirements, so they sell more.

Indie or AAA, they all lie. They get away with it because they are telling the truth kinda. It is the minimum system requirement, but they are just to launch the game, not to actually play it. If you need to know system requirements for a game, look them up on a website or something. Do not trust what the publisher has put on a box.

It's a business practice that goes beyond gaming. It's the same thing like expiration dates on foods or meds. Like mileage on oil changes in cars... ect.

It doesn't pay to try to be 100% accurate when that gives chance for just once incident be off and then you are suddenly sued.
---
http://happyscrub.com/tierlist.jpg
#8IlluminoiusPosted 8/5/2013 11:23:09 AM
lol indie games