This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does Steam Mover simply move the game or does it move and reference it?

#11ShebeskiiPosted 8/5/2013 7:13:06 AM
arleas posted...
Steam allows you to install games on different directories now.

Install, yes... move it somewhere else? Well, not as easily as installing it. I guess maybe if you copied the folder, then told steam to delete all content, then set it to reinstall at the new location and then move the copy of your folder there hoping that it will see it's all there and not have to download again... that might work.

If you know the commands and how to move the stuff manually steam mover was ALWAYS redundant.

This works and Steam has support for it. It says something about reading files instead of downloading, it downloads a couple of megs (or none at all) then finishes.

You don't need Steam mover.

Step 1: Copy game folder from Common in Steamapps on D

Step 2: Paste game folder from Common on D to Common on C.

Step 3: Delete game from Library

Step 4: Reinstall Game and set the directory to the newly paste location on C.

Wait for Steam to do a bit of file management and you're done.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#12Knighted DragonPosted 8/5/2013 7:20:32 AM

Steam mover seems redundant.

This never works for me, ever. Steam asks where I want to install the game, I select my HDD, it tells me it can't do it. It will only install on my SSD so I have to use steam mover to put it on my HDD. And yeah I know I should have installed steam on my HDD not my SSD but I have hundreds of games installed now and don't want to spend a month reinstalling them
---
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg
#13DragnfyrPosted 8/5/2013 8:23:31 AM
Knighted Dragon posted...

Steam mover seems redundant.

This never works for me, ever. Steam asks where I want to install the game, I select my HDD, it tells me it can't do it. It will only install on my SSD so I have to use steam mover to put it on my HDD. And yeah I know I should have installed steam on my HDD not my SSD but I have hundreds of games installed now and don't want to spend a month reinstalling them

Do you have a folder made on your HDD? I don't think Steam can install the the root directory if any drive.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.8.4 | Windows 8 Pro
#14XjphPosted 8/5/2013 9:12:48 AM
Shebeskii posted...
arleas posted...

Install, yes... move it somewhere else? Well, not as easily as installing it. I guess maybe if you copied the folder, then told steam to delete all content, then set it to reinstall at the new location and then move the copy of your folder there hoping that it will see it's all there and not have to download again... that might work.

If you know the commands and how to move the stuff manually steam mover was ALWAYS redundant.

This works and Steam has support for it. It says something about reading files instead of downloading, it downloads a couple of megs (or none at all) then finishes.

You don't need Steam mover.

Step 1: Copy game folder from Common in Steamapps on D

Step 2: Paste game folder from Common on D to Common on C.

Step 3: Delete game from Library

Step 4: Reinstall Game and set the directory to the newly paste location on C.

Wait for Steam to do a bit of file management and you're done.

You can avoid steps 3 and 4 if you edit the game's appmanifest_(appid).acf file to point to the new location.
---
"Much as a spiders web, it began with a single thread." - Cilym
My Library - http://xjph.net/images/Library.jpg
#15PraetorXynPosted 8/5/2013 11:51:26 AM
What Steam Mover basically does is equivalent to:
Either move files to new directory or copy files to new directory and then delete the originals on successful copy
mklink /J <original source dir> <target dir>

What it basically boils down to is a "Cut and Paste" of the game folder to a new location, and then creating a directory junction in the old location pointing to the new location, so Steam still believes the game is in the old location and when it tries to access it there the directory junction takes it to the new location as it tries to access files.

It's no longer necessary to do this. You can create a secondary game library in Steam, copy your game folders to the new library folder, delete all the games in question, and then have Steam reinstall and point it at the new library. It will find the local files, download what it needs to in order to correct the .acf or .gcf files, and then it's done.

You need to copy .gcf files over for any Valve games you have, they generally go in the Steamapps root directory and can be quite large.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9