This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Going to buy an Alienware

#1Sephiroth311Posted 8/5/2013 5:51:20 AM
1)I CANNOT build my own, I wouldn't know where to start and I don't have the time to research how. Even if I could I have VERY bad luck with stuff like that and things WOULD go wrong. Trust me I rather just pay for the convenience.

2)I know they are overpriced but to be honest I'm doing alright now so the price isn't really a problem and by my own admission I'm buying it pretty much just for the case and it'll fit perfectly into my media unit I'm working on.

Now I was going to go for the high end option but I'm starting to wonder if I need it, could I go for the £699 option with the addition of the Blu-Ray player and then upgrade the components in a few years time? Again I would probably pay to have it upgraded but I just need to know if they are very difficult to upgrade?

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd

The games I'm looking to pay right now include:

Skyrim
Fallout 3 and NV
Batman Arkham Asylum and City
The Assassin Creed series
Grand Theft Auto 4 and hopefully 5 if its released

I'd like it to be ready for the next Elder Scrolls, Fallout and as I said above GTA 5. Getting max settings isn't a big deal to me, if I can great but its certainly not a deal breaker. I don't want to be stuck with minimum though.

Would the £699 option suffice?
---
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
#2TowerBooks3192Posted 8/5/2013 5:54:17 AM
For the love of god! don't please don't do it!! I almost did it like a couple of hours ago. Trust me, after I got an X51 last year, I really regretted it since the desktop I got for $1200 AUD here is more powerful than the x51 I got earlier that year. Please don't do it! please build one!
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#3ShubPosted 8/5/2013 5:58:00 AM
Intel® Core™ i5-4430 Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.2GHz with Turbo Boost Technology)
Windows 8 64bit, English
8GB1 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
1TB (64MB Cache) 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s
1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 645
1 Year NBD with Premium Phone Support

Sorry but that's terrible for gaming. It's appalling that Alienware would try to advertise it as a gaming computer.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4phantasyPosted 8/5/2013 5:58:00 AM
why do you even need to know if they are easy to upgrade or not since you will be paying someone else to do all the work. seems to me this is just a reassurance topic. Just go buy it.
---
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]
#5SlaynPosted 8/5/2013 5:58:27 AM
I would go for the £999 option, the other is too weak.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#6ShubPosted 8/5/2013 6:00:29 AM
If I recall correctly, Scan.co.uk lets you pick exactly the parts you want and will put them together for you for a small fee, you should do that.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#7rareware101Posted 8/5/2013 6:12:05 AM(edited)
If you're dead set on an Alienware then just get the most expensive one you can afford. You'd need your head checked though as the performance would be terrible compared to the same money spent on a 'normal' desktop.

You don't HAVE to build you own, Check out Scan's 3XS systems for example. Just avoid anything from PCWorld, Currys, Comet, etc.

http://www.scan.co.uk/
---
The Jeff Minter Llama360 Hardware Achievement - Unlocked after completing the Visualiser
#8Sephiroth311(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2013 6:01:22 AM
phantasy posted...
why do you even need to know if they are easy to upgrade or not since you will be paying someone else to do all the work. seems to me this is just a reassurance topic. Just go buy it.

I know its a silly question but I just wanted to make sure that it was possible to upgrade it just in case they use any restricting parts or anything. With it being in a small case I thought there may be some issues with upgrading but yeah I'll be getting someone else to do it when the time comes.
---
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
#9nickyd123Posted 8/5/2013 6:02:24 AM(edited)
I agree with Tower. Many years ago when I got my first job, I bought a Dell gaming computer for well over a grand. I regretted that purchase even shortly after getting it. I built my first computer not too long ago, and I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out. It was cheaper, easy, and I enjoy the satisfaction of knowing I put it together.

If you know you will have the time to play these games, then you have the time to look up some videos on building a computer. It's not hard once you get into it. Also, the most fun part is picking out the parts (not to mention seeing the savings rack up)

Just give it a shot, don't waste your money on a fancy case with meh parts in it.
---
GT: Nickizzles
Check out my channel with some TF2 and Guitar Hero Customs: http://www.youtube.com/user/nickizzles?feature=mhee
#10aak57Posted 8/5/2013 6:01:41 AM
You'd need the £999 option at the least, and even then if your goal is to be prepared for next gen games, you'd really want to step up to at least the next option.
---
Are you ready?
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg