This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Plug & play USB devices won't work without a 'driver' ('Found New Hardware')

#1TrulyEpicLawlsPosted 8/5/2013 8:46:49 AM
I put in a new USB mouse that should work straight away (no drivers needed), but the 'found new hardware' wizard pops up, and it can't find drivers for it anyway. Same happened a while ago when I tried a USB controller, again not requiring drivers.

So at the moment, if my current mouse or keyboard dies, I'm screwed.

I'm using Windows XP SP3.

In the Device Manager, I have yellow exclamation marks next to:

Other Devices -> PCI Device
Other Devices -> Unknown device
SCSI and RAID controllers -> ST3MP28 SCSI Controller

Any help thank you please?
---
The two argument-winning fads of forums: 1) Say 'calm down'. 2) Anyone with a view/opinion different to yours must be a troll, so you must therefore state this.
#2pothocketPosted 8/5/2013 8:51:37 AM
Are you not logged onto the internet?
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#3TrulyEpicLawls(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2013 8:55:18 AM
pothocket posted...
Are you not logged onto the internet?

I'm on the internet, why? Because drivers are searched for online? That's not the problem. These are devices that are supposed to work straight away, USB mice for example. The wizard isn't supposed to appear at all and the mouse or whatever is plugged in should be working.
---
The two argument-winning fads of forums: 1) Say 'calm down'. 2) Anyone with a view/opinion different to yours must be a troll, so you must therefore state this.
#4Broccoli92Posted 8/5/2013 9:04:12 AM
What brand of mouse is it ? Strange though but in Windows 7 once a USB device is plugged and windows will automatically download driver and install it.
---
Intel i5 3470 3.20GHz | Sapphire HD 7850 2GB | 8GB RAM | Asrock Z77 PRO3 |WD 1TB| PSU 650w Enermax
#5KillerTrufflePosted 8/5/2013 9:09:14 AM
So the new mouse didn't work? Or did it work, but still popped up the window? Cuz a lot of mice do have extra features/functions that require drivers to work, but still give you basic mouse functionality with Windows default drivers...
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#6Vindication123Posted 8/5/2013 9:20:34 AM
Describing any PC issue can literaly have dozens of possible causing, which is why you need to be very specific describing the issue if you want reasonable advice.

My first piece of advice is to visit Microsoft Support for any trouble shooting first. At the very least this well help you describe the issue better, and at best solve it.

Remove the all the related hardware first, unistall from computer management and remove programs. Then re-install.

Most common issues involve damage to files when being added, removed or modified without you realizing it occuring.
---
'The Intel i7-3770 if you're rich, the i5 2500K, i53570 or i53570k if you're doing okay, the AMD A10-5800K or i3 if you're just about hanging in there.'
#7TrulyEpicLawls(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2013 9:21:55 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
So the new mouse didn't work? Or did it work, but still popped up the window? Cuz a lot of mice do have extra features/functions that require drivers to work, but still give you basic mouse functionality with Windows default drivers...

Ok: this is a problem regarding USB devices that are plug & play. What normally happens is you plug it in, and it works. For example, you plug in a plug & play USB controller, which has no driver disc because it does not require specific drivers, and it immediately works, that's it. Like plugging in a controller into a game console.

What is happening here is that I plug in a USB device, which is plug & play/no drivers required, whether it be a mouse or a controller, and the 'Found New Hardware' wizard pops up, and the USB device does not work. Even if I press 'next' and do an automatic search, it doesn't find any drivers to use because there is nothing to find - the device does not require drivers and should be working.
---
#8TrulyEpicLawls(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2013 9:23:18 AM
Vindication123 posted...
Describing any PC issue can literaly have dozens of possible causing, which is why you need to be very specific describing the issue if you want reasonable advice.

My first piece of advice is to visit Microsoft Support for any trouble shooting first. At the very least this well help you describe the issue better, and at best solve it.

Remove the all the related hardware first, unistall from computer management and remove programs. Then re-install.

Most common issues involve damage to files when being added, removed or modified without you realizing it occuring.

You've gotta be kidding me.
---
#9KillerTrufflePosted 8/5/2013 9:25:01 AM
Then it sounds like you may be missing some native Windows files. The reason plug & play exists is because Windows has a pretty big library of drivers built in already. If that's not working, something may be wrong with either the library, or with Windows matching the device to the proper driver.

However, another possibility is, as I said, some devices *are* plug & play for basic functionality, but require specific drivers for advanced/enhanced functionality. They can still get away with claiming plug & play, but don't give you all features without specific drivers.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#10fataliPosted 8/5/2013 9:31:36 AM(edited)
I have seen this happen a few times, when the usb connection fails and the device is not properly recognized.

Your usb ports may be dirty, or broken, try another port and see if the device is detected correctly there. It also happens when you plug too many things in a port using a hub. Another possibility is that the port you are using is not providing enough power for the device, in which case a usb hub with an external power supply could fix the issue.

If nothing works, there is a chance your device could be broken, and is not a problem with your PC.

---
Mystery is the source of all true science.