This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Plug & play USB devices won't work without a 'driver' ('Found New Hardware')

#11TrulyEpicLawls(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2013 9:34:25 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Then it sounds like you may be missing some native Windows files. The reason plug & play exists is because Windows has a pretty big library of drivers built in already. If that's not working, something may be wrong with either the library, or with Windows matching the device to the proper driver.

If this is the problem, how can it be fixed?

fatali posted...
I have seen this happen a few times, when the usb connection fails and the device is not properly recognized.

Your usb ports may be dirty, or broken, try another port and see if the device is detected correctly there. It also happens when you plug too many things in a port using a hub. Another possibility is that the port you are using is not providing enough power for the device, in which case a usb hub with an external power supply could fix the issue.

If nothing works, there is a chance your device could be broken, and is not a problem with your PC.

I can confirm it is none of these issues.
---
The two argument-winning fads of forums: 1) Say 'calm down'. 2) Anyone with a view/opinion different to yours must be a troll, so you must therefore state this.
#12KillerTrufflePosted 8/5/2013 9:35:43 AM
fatali posted...
I have seen this happen a few times, when the usb connection fails and the device is not properly recognized.

Your usb ports may be dirty, or broken, try another port and see if the device is detected correctly there. It also happens when you plug too many things in a port using a hub. Another possibility is that the port you are using is not providing enough power for the device, in which case a usb hub with an external power supply could fix the issue.

If nothing works, there is a chance your device could be broken, and is not a problem with your PC.

That is also a possibility - broken USB hardware. It would be extremely unusually for *all* of the USB ports to fail at once tho.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#13KillerTrufflePosted 8/5/2013 9:37:47 AM
TrulyEpicLawls posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
Then it sounds like you may be missing some native Windows files. The reason plug & play exists is because Windows has a pretty big library of drivers built in already. If that's not working, something may be wrong with either the library, or with Windows matching the device to the proper driver.

If this is the problem, how can it be fixed?

Well, first step would be to attempt a system restore and see if Windows itself can detect any issues and fix them. Aside from that, a full reinstall of Windows could be necessary. Again, that's all just speculation - like someone else said earlier, problems like this can have any number of causes. It can sometimes just take some detective work, trial and error, and process of elimination to identify the problem and fix it.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#14TrulyEpicLawls(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2013 10:39:03 AM(edited)
FIXED!

Yet again, someone deep within the bowels of a Google search had the answer:

XP comes with drivers for USB mass storage. If it asks for drivers then it has forgotten where they are...
Start the Registry Editor (Run -> Regedit). Check if under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion the item 'DevicePath' points to '%SystemRoot%\inf'. Additional items, separated by semikolons, are ok but '%SystemRoot%\inf' has to be one of them.
Then delete the file C:\WINDOWS\inf\infcache.1 - XP will recreate it.
The INF folder and the infcache.1 file are 'hidden'. To see them in the Windows Explorer:
Menu 'Tools' -> 'Folder Options'
Tab 'View', mark 'show hidden files and folders'
If it still doesn't work after a restart, the files in C:\WINDOWS\inf might be corrupt. An Windows repair install helps then.

The answer, and the rest of his solution, is here:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6142_102-276502/usb-plug-and-play-does-not-automaticly-recognize-installs/

DevicePath had been directed to Drivers\Thomson instead, this must've happened when I connected a Thomson SpeedTouch modem to test it. Bastards.
---
The two argument-winning fads of forums: 1) Say 'calm down'. 2) Anyone with a view/opinion different to yours must be a troll, so you must therefore state this.
#15the_master_123Posted 8/7/2013 1:34:15 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]