This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Amount of $ to spend on a laptop to make The Sims 3 run maxed out?

#1AlexTheNextOnePosted 8/5/2013 9:58:43 AM
To be clear, this is not a computer for myself, this would be for my girlfriend, who doesn't play PC games unless it's The Sims. To each their own.

She wanted to know around how much someone would have to spend on a new laptop (not a Mac, thank you Baby Jesus) in order to have The Sims 3 run on maxed settings, without choppiness.

I'm not an expert in the least when it comes to hardware, so I guessed it would cost someone around $500-600 to be able to run a game like that, but I'm not entirely sure.

It would also need to be a laptop, not desktop, she would need that portability in the future, for classes.
---
Read everything, listen to everybody, believe nothing, until you can prove it through your own research. For that is the true mark of intelligence.
#2dennis941012Posted 8/5/2013 10:05:01 AM
Mac GET REFURBISHED MAC BOOK AIR
It is lite, designed well, os is much more user friendly, battery life is much longer, screen quality is better, etc...

laptop/tablet = go for apple :X

inb4payingforbrandname
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzwNvWsbJKQ
#3AlexTheNextOne(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2013 10:14:11 AM
I said we were not in the market for a Mac, and I would never tell her to get a Macbook Air, refurbished or not. She needs an optical drive, plain and simple.
---
Read everything, listen to everybody, believe nothing, until you can prove it through your own research. For that is the true mark of intelligence.
#4TropicMoon10Posted 8/5/2013 10:17:48 AM
$600 is overkill. A $400-$500 laptop will be fine.

I'm not at home right now so I can't help you look for anything in particular, but it really doesn't take that much to run The Sims 3 decently.
---
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#5Binba442Posted 8/5/2013 11:15:33 AM(edited)
dennis941012 posted...
It is lite, designed well, os is much more user friendly, Unless, like every sane person, you grew up on Windows OS, in which case it is even less user friendly than Linux, battery life is much longer, screen quality is better if you pay 400$ more, etc...

laptop/tablet = go for Windows/Android :X

FixyFix'd

To be honest, if you GF tech savvy enough to understand that mac's are inferior. She will love it/you. If you want to buy a First hand one, buy a windows, it's cheaper. But you can buy a second Hand mac for a good price.
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#6dennis941012Posted 8/5/2013 11:32:49 AM
Binba442 posted...
dennis941012 posted...
It is lite, designed well, os is much more user friendly, Unless, like every sane person, you grew up on Windows OS, in which case it is even less user friendly than Linux, battery life is much longer, screen quality is better if you pay 400$ more, etc...

laptop/tablet = go for Windows/Android :X

FixyFix'd

To be honest, if you GF tech savvy enough to understand that mac's are inferior. She will love it/you. If you want to buy a First hand one, buy a windows, it's cheaper. But you can buy a second Hand mac for a good price.

This is the problem with this board. You guys almost always value tech over everything else. I have mac book pro, Sony Vaio laptop, Ipad4, and Nexus 7. For both instance I prefer Mac and Ipad because of its ease of use, portability, and sleek design. Now if you said cellphone I would recommend galaxy S4 > rest :X
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzwNvWsbJKQ
#7LordSeiferPosted 8/5/2013 11:38:26 AM
why would she really care if its running maxed out vs running it on high

not sure why people think if you are going to play a game its either maximum possible settings or dont bother
---
^ this
#8AlexTheNextOne(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2013 2:21:51 PM
LordSeifer posted...
why would she really care if its running maxed out vs running it on high

not sure why people think if you are going to play a game its either maximum possible settings or dont bother

It's the only PC game she plays, she just wants it to look nice and play well. I don't have a problem with it, personally.

@dennis941012 YOU prefer Macs and iPads for their ease of use, portability, and sleek design. SHE has always used Windows, making it the easiest to use for her. She has enough things going on in her life right now that she doesn't have the time to learn a completely new OS. She's not particularly computer-savvy.

Not getting a Mac, so get off it.
---
#9Fade2black001Posted 8/5/2013 2:55:17 PM
People suggesting a Mac on the PC board= major fail.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834216576
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#10KalammerPosted 8/5/2013 2:59:36 PM
AlexTheNextOne posted...
She needs an optical drive, plain and simple.

Holy time warp Batman! We've been sent back to the 1990s!
---
"My job isn't to offer help in the way that you mean." - Boogiepop