This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

WTF is this running out of keys **** on Steam?

#1Star_NutsPosted 8/5/2013 10:00:17 AM
So I bought Fallout 3 GOTYE during the summer sale and just installed it but when I try to play it, I get a 'Failed to Contact Key Server' error. I look it up and find this:

If the game is a recent release, or was purchased during a sale

While we do our best to anticipate demand from our users, occasionally we may run out of keys to provide for your purchase. When we are out of keys, this error will appear. You will be issued a key as soon as we have been given more by the game's publisher.

If you run out of keys, why continue to sell it? How long might it take to get a key to this ****? I really hope this isn't a common issue...
---
Not changing this sig until the Chargers win the Super Bowl - 31 Dec 2012
http://images.pictureshunt.com/pics/s/san_diego_chargers-3705.gif
#2SinfullyvannilaPosted 8/5/2013 10:05:08 AM
It's an uncommon issue.

They'll restock.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#3thebladeofwoePosted 8/5/2013 10:24:17 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4KillerTrufflePosted 8/5/2013 10:33:51 AM
Pretty much exactly what it says. Valve is given a limited number of valid keys from the publisher. If the game proves more popular than expected, keys can run out, and they have to wait for the publisher to supply more. Kind of a stupid problem, but at least it happens rarely.

I suspect in cases like this, you would have legitimate grounds to request a refund from Steam, since you are unable to play the game without a valid key. Or, if you like the price you paid for the game, just wait for them to get more keys.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#5SteamsterPosted 8/5/2013 10:36:08 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6Mystical_NEETPosted 8/5/2013 10:38:17 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Pretty much exactly what it says. Valve is given a limited number of valid keys from the publisher. If the game proves more popular than expected, keys can run out, and they have to wait for the publisher to supply more. Kind of a stupid problem, but at least it happens rarely.

I suspect in cases like this, you would have legitimate grounds to request a refund from Steam, since you are unable to play the game without a valid key. Or, if you like the price you paid for the game, just wait for them to get more keys.

Valve does one courtesy refund per user. Not a good idea for TC to waste it just because he can't wait to play his game.

Also technically when you buy Steam games you're paying for "access", not the game itself.
#7KillerTrufflePosted 8/5/2013 10:40:52 AM
Mystical_NEET posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

Valve does one courtesy refund per user. Not a good idea for TC to waste it just because he can't wait to play his game.

Also technically when you buy Steam games you're paying for "access", not the game itself.

I know Valve does one courtesy refund no questions asked. However, in this case, the user has not received what he paid for, and is owed either the product he paid for or a refund. Simple as that. Even by your definition of paying for "access," he does not have access to the game, since access requires a key, which he does not have.

Any lawyer would have an extremely simple time filing charges against Valve if they denied a refund over a purchased product they were unable to deliver.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#8SlashmanSGPosted 8/5/2013 10:42:54 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
I know Valve does one courtesy refund no questions asked.

That has never been a hard rule. It tends to be true, but not guaranteed.
---
Fight Science with Wood
http://gifs.gifbin.com/072010/1280303569_walmart-moonwalk.gif http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8299/0341551001256026444.gif
#9Mystical_NEETPosted 8/5/2013 10:45:41 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Mystical_NEET posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

I know Valve does one courtesy refund no questions asked. However, in this case, the user has not received what he paid for, and is owed either the product he paid for or a refund. Simple as that. Even by your definition of paying for "access," he does not have access to the game, since access requires a key, which he does not have.

Any lawyer would have an extremely simple time filing charges against Valve if they denied a refund over a purchased product they were unable to deliver.

Lol... you realize by the time TC lawyered up and finished suing Valve they would have his Fallout 3 key for him right? Are you a German by any chance? I heard they were out for Valve's head too over the game-reselling stuff.
#10KidInTheHallPosted 8/5/2013 10:45:58 AM
I had this issue with GTA IV when I bought it from Steam, I was still able to play it just fine, even online. I went back and forth with Rockstar for a fix but nothing helped. Eventually when I did a reinstall of my OS and had to delete and reinstall my Steam games, I reinstalled GTA IV and haven't seen that message pop up since.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750