This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

WTF is this running out of keys **** on Steam?

#11KillerTrufflePosted 8/5/2013 10:53:11 AM
Mystical_NEET posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
Mystical_NEET posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
Pretty much exactly what it says. Valve is given a limited number of valid keys from the publisher. If the game proves more popular than expected, keys can run out, and they have to wait for the publisher to supply more. Kind of a stupid problem, but at least it happens rarely.

I suspect in cases like this, you would have legitimate grounds to request a refund from Steam, since you are unable to play the game without a valid key. Or, if you like the price you paid for the game, just wait for them to get more keys.

Valve does one courtesy refund per user. Not a good idea for TC to waste it just because he can't wait to play his game.

Also technically when you buy Steam games you're paying for "access", not the game itself.

I know Valve does one courtesy refund no questions asked. However, in this case, the user has not received what he paid for, and is owed either the product he paid for or a refund. Simple as that. Even by your definition of paying for "access," he does not have access to the game, since access requires a key, which he does not have.

Any lawyer would have an extremely simple time filing charges against Valve if they denied a refund over a purchased product they were unable to deliver.

Lol... you realize by the time TC lawyered up and finished suing Valve they would have his Fallout 3 key for him right? Are you a German by any chance? I heard they were out for Valve's head too over the game-reselling stuff.

I'm not suggesting that the guy *actually* sue Valve... I'm just saying that it is plainly illegal to accept money for a product, fail to provide that product, and refuse to refund money paid for the product that was not provided. I have a hard time imagining Valve would refuse to refund as long as they guy still had no valid key. I don't see it getting to a lawsuit stage... if it did tho, Valve would have very little chance at winning. And if it did get to the point of a lawsuit, and there was evidence Valve refused the refund, it'd be smart to go for punitive damages too, simply to make a statement to Valve that you still gotta obey commercial laws. Like I said tho, they're typically pretty good with customers, and I figure they'd just refund the money in cases like this.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#12ein311Posted 8/5/2013 11:18:14 AM
Certain situations will warrant a refund from Valve. If the guy submits a support ticket about not having a valid key and when the support request is processed the key still isn't available, then it's justified. I know this has happened in the past (Prey comes to mind).

Valve will generally only refund a pre-order that hasn't been released yet. Or if it's The War Z. Or if you're in Europe and cite their consumer protection laws.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#13SlaynPosted 8/5/2013 11:37:54 AM
Oh no. I have a high chance of not getting a video game I ordered on Steam for $5! They took my money and scammed me! Class action lawsuit! Call the BBB! They probably won't give me a key within the next 24 hours ( even though they probably will ). There was a chance this game wasn't going to sit on my backlog of 50+ games! Argh!!!!!!
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#14KURRUPTORPosted 8/5/2013 11:55:12 AM
Happened to me once with GTAIV, got the key a couple of days later only to find that GTA IV runs like crap on PC and kinda is kinda just a crappy game in general. Shoulda contacted valve to get my money back before they got me that key.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#15blade6321Posted 8/5/2013 11:58:11 AM
Slayn posted...
Oh no. I have a high chance of not getting a video game I ordered on Steam for $5! They took my money and scammed me! Class action lawsuit! Call the BBB! They probably won't give me a key within the next 24 hours ( even though they probably will ). There was a chance this game wasn't going to sit on my backlog of 50+ games! Argh!!!!!!

Oh please.

The guy paid for a game, being told he'd be able to play it, and wants to play it.
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
-Crabdom Ambassador.
#16SlaynPosted 8/5/2013 11:59:48 AM
blade6321 posted...
Slayn posted...

Oh please.

The guy paid for a game, being told he'd be able to play it, and wants to play it.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

QQ.

Going to have to wait a day for a $5 video game purchase. Life is over.

First world problems.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#17CheeseCurlsPosted 8/5/2013 12:02:02 PM
the LoL community has such a good reputation, and you are doing it great justice.
---
Perhaps I am already insane, and am just the last to know.
#18KillerTrufflePosted 8/5/2013 12:05:41 PM
Slayn posted...
blade6321 posted...
Slayn posted...

Oh please.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

QQ.

Going to have to wait a day for a $5 video game purchase. Life is over.

First world problems.

Totally love all the ad hominem attacks that try to distract from the simple point that guy paid money and did not receive what he paid for.

I wasn't even recommending he get a refund, but I was admitting to the fact that Steam is not perfect, and if he was dissatisfied with the fact he has to wait an unspecified length of time to get a key, he can request a refund. There is nothing wrong with that, although there *is* something wrong with you implying someone is a crybaby for being dissatisfied with paying money and not receiving what they paid for.
---
#19KillerTrufflePosted 8/5/2013 12:06:10 PM
CheeseCurls posted...
the LoL community has such a good reputation, and you are doing it great justice.

Totally missed that. I think that might explain a lot.
---
#20SlaynPosted 8/5/2013 12:09:24 PM
Stop guys, you're really hurting on my feelings. You don't like the largest online video game community in the world. You guys must be real cool hipsters. What sort of boxed frame glasses do you wear? I want to be cool like you. But please, stop talking about me. The OP direly needs his attention. If he doesn't get the key to this game ASAP there might be hunger problems in Africa.

Or worse.
---