This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which of these two would run these games better?

#1Binba442Posted 8/5/2013 10:45:13 AM
By "Better" I mean with a better Frame rate. I will sacrifice ALL the graphics for frames.

Trying to Run "Guns of Icarus Online" The minimum specs are surpassed on the Acer.
Either:

Acer 5733 Craptop:

I3-370M
4GB RAM
Intel Intergrated

The Acer suffers frame problems at a 400x600 Resolution, and overheats, and therfore, shuts down quite easily.

Some Dell thing:

Intel Core 2Duo @2.93ghz E7500 (Device manager says it has 2 of them. I don't think it does)
4GB RAM
Intel G45/43 Express Chipset.

I think the processor is better in the laptop, but I'm not sure about the chipset.

Thanks!
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#2Mystical_NEETPosted 8/5/2013 10:47:29 AM
The Dell one is faster, as it has the "express" chipset. Express = faster than normal.

Also E is before M in the alphabet, so it makes sense that E processors are stronger.
#3ShubPosted 8/5/2013 10:52:34 AM
The laptop has a better GPU but the Dell is a desktop with a better CPU (obviously it doesn't have two -- Device Manager shows two because it's a dual core CPU), so there are pros and cons to both... I'm not all that familiar with Guns of Icarus, but I would imagine that the better GPU in the laptop would help more than the better CPU in the desktop.
Either way, I think you can expect a very rough time running the game well...
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4Binba442(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2013 10:57:46 AM
Shub posted...
The laptop has a better GPU but the Dell is a desktop with a better CPU (obviously it doesn't have two -- Device Manager shows two because it's a dual core CPU), so there are pros and cons to both... I'm not all that familiar with Guns of Icarus, but I would imagine that the better GPU in the laptop would help more than the better CPU in the desktop.
Either way, I think you can expect a very rough time running the game well...

It cuts out on the Laptop when it overheats, which it does often. I think I'll use the desktop, and nash down the resolution.
The Device Manager on the laptop shows 4 cores, but I think it only has 2 physical. Thanks for the reply!

Also, the desktop has 4.4 Windows Rating, while the Laptop has a 3.3 I don't think that means anything, but there it is.
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#5ShubPosted 8/5/2013 11:00:06 AM
Binba442 posted...
The Device Manager on the laptop shows 4 cores, but I think it only has 2 physical.

That's because of Hyper-Threading. You get 4 logical threads out of 2 physical cores.

Binba442 posted...
Also, the desktop has 4.4 Windows Rating, while the Laptop has a 3.3 I don't think that means anything, but there it is.

If you look at the details of WEI, it'll break down each computer's performance by area. The lone number you see is always the lowest-rated performance area. You can see there if the GPU of the laptop is rated higher than that of the desktop.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6Binba442(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2013 11:07:14 AM
I don't want to re-download the whole game again through steam, so can I toss it on a USB and transfer it to the steam common file instead?
---
#7ShubPosted 8/5/2013 11:08:12 AM
That should be fine. If you want to be safe, use Steam's backup feature to back up the game to your USB thumb drive, then restore it on the other computer.
---
-What is best in life?
#8Binba442(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2013 11:16:11 AM
Shub posted...
That should be fine. If you want to be safe, use Steam's backup feature to back up the game to your USB thumb drive, then restore it on the other computer.

ok, Thanks a lot!
---