This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you guys know anything about this Space Hulk game coming out soon?

#1pothocketPosted 8/5/2013 10:45:48 AM
I hear it's based on a boardgame and I like that because I've always thought boardgame rulesets are much more elegant and (most) videogames seem bloated in comparison. Anyways, I was trying to find out info on it but I still have a few questions I hope someone here knows the answer to.

Is this game directly based on the boardgame rules or is it just 'inspired by'? Will reading this massive 100+ page rulebook teach me the game? I ask because the only reason I know WTF is going in Blood Bowl is because I was able to print up and read the actual physical rulebook and I'd like to do the same with Space Hulk

http://spacehulk.barsoom.cc/ressurected/shbible/Space_Hulk_Bible_1st_edtion.pdf

If you know of a better rules source for the videogame, please link me to it!
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#2ChromaticAngelPosted 8/5/2013 10:48:05 AM(edited)
I've never played Space Hulk, but if the manual is anything at all like the manual(s) for Warhammer 40,000, I would not expect to understand the game after reading it.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#3pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2013 11:15:20 AM
Weren't those action beat-em-ups? From what I understand about Space Hulk, it's turn based and based on the boardgame. So I'm wondering if it's a direct adaptation or what.
---
#4MonkeymagePosted 8/5/2013 11:25:22 AM
Download DOSbox and the original Space Hulk game.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#5ZukkusPosted 8/5/2013 11:30:30 AM
It's literally the old board game turned into a computer game. Same missions and everything.

I'm waiting for reviews, but I'll probably pick it up.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#6pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2013 12:00:28 PM
Monkeymage posted...
Download DOSbox and the original Space Hulk game.

I looked it up and seen that it was real time, not turn based. I'm not interested in that.
---
#7maybecallsPosted 8/5/2013 12:59:11 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8RPGMattPosted 8/5/2013 1:15:24 PM
Space Hulk isn't that complicated, rules-wise. I'm sure the game will be able to explain it in a few minutes to you. The older video games are a completely different RTS hybrid thing, but they're cool too.
---
http://www.facebook.com/chaosframe
#9ChromaticAngelPosted 8/5/2013 2:11:37 PM
pothocket posted...
Weren't those action beat-em-ups? From what I understand about Space Hulk, it's turn based and based on the boardgame. So I'm wondering if it's a direct adaptation or what.

Warhammer 40,000 is a turn based strategy war game. The Action beat-em-up video game adaptations do not resemble the rules to the real Warhammer 40k at all. Space Hulk is designed to be absolutely true to the rules of the board game.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.