This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I really dislike 2 weapon limit

#101DesperateMonkeyPosted 8/6/2013 7:59:47 AM
Two guns is way better. I remember the old days of having countless guns. I was about using the best guns until they ran out of ammo, then the next and the next.

Comparatively, in Halo, you pretty much use most of the guns and have to make pretty hard choices all the time.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#102pothocketPosted 8/6/2013 8:27:23 AM(edited)
ThePonyCollie posted...
lol at the 2 weapon limit adds to the experience and intensity. I could just take a rocket launcher and grenade launcher and show them who's boss. "oohh 2 weapon limit! oohh intense! oohh fun!"

*rolls eyes*

You obviously haven't thought this through when trying to make your sarcastic point. Why would you choose two weapons that fill the same role? Maybe you should play more two weapon limit games so you'll understand these kinds of basic concepts.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#103KURRUPTORPosted 8/6/2013 8:23:47 AM
I blame consoles and their lack of number keys to allow easy/fast weapon switching.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#104nintend0Fan46Posted 8/6/2013 10:43:27 AM
Mystical_NEET posted...
Wait... you're talking about consoles on the PC board, why?

You know what, nevermind. No real point in responding...

Consoles are the reason there is a 2 weapon limit. Don't get why you were so quick to dismiss what he said.
---
FGoAT Abbreviated: OoT, LttP, MM, EB, TF2, DE:HR, SSBB, SMG2, CoH, KNiD, SMW2:YI, P2, MK:DD, PW:AA, SC:CT, BK, L4D2, MP5, KI:U, MPT, 007:EoN, SC2, PM:TTYD...
#105brainlackPosted 8/6/2013 11:04:17 AM
imagine you only have primary and secondary and you play far cry 2 so you just got golden ak

imagine far cry 2 golden ak and a bolo as secondary haha I might as well blow myself in the middle of a checkpoint
---
playing re6 with 8x sparse grid ss with 32xs(2x2 ss + 8 ms)+ mixed sample x128 + 32 forced anisotropic then I hear ps4 is powerful than my pc
#106ArckainePosted 8/6/2013 1:33:58 PM
Counter-Strike would be pretty dumb if it wasn't one primary plus a secondary weapon, just sayin.
#107pothocketPosted 8/6/2013 1:37:16 PM
nintend0Fan46 posted...
Mystical_NEET posted...

Consoles are the reason there is a 2 weapon limit. Don't get why you were so quick to dismiss what he said.

Because everyone else is confused why some people seem to be insisting that two weapon limits would've never happened ever if not for console games.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#108DesperateMonkeyPosted 8/6/2013 2:32:12 PM
nintend0Fan46 posted...
Mystical_NEET posted...

Consoles invented counterstrike?

CS may not have directly invented two weapons but it did limit how many primary, secondary and so on could be carried. Halo just modified it to fit consoles better and mapped some things (like grenade) directly.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#109SilentHawk29Posted 8/6/2013 4:06:31 PM(edited)
There's a reason why CS did it. CS was also multiplayer only. Why don't you say Team Fortress instead? Or any number of Quake mods, really. You'd realize how ridiculous that argument is, same as whoever it was that brought up Rainbow Six.

How about Hexen? It had a four weapon limit. Want to bring that up too?

My point is that Halo "mainstreamed" the weapon limit. Before it, there were reasons to have a weapon limit. In Counter-Strike, you picked which weapons you started out with, and then you paid more money that you earned throughout playing to upgrade your gear. Plus, they were going with a more realistic approach with that mod which hadn't really been seen before. No terrorist or counter-terrorist would be carrying around 6-7 weapons with them. With Team Fortress or Hexen, there were classes, each class getting its own set of weapons and skills. Other games had similar reasons on the weapon limit.

Then Halo comes along. It was the first FPS game that threw weapons across the map but only allowed you to carry two of them. It did this because of the limitations of a console controller and how important multiplayer was going to be for it. Opening a weapon wheel or cycling through a bunch of weapons with a couple of buttons wouldn't have fit for fast-paced multiplayer. Other developers saw how it worked (as well as how their regenerating health worked) and thought it was a great idea as it worked around the limitations of the controller.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#110DarkReign2022Posted 8/7/2013 10:38:29 PM
Completely agree with your post SilentHawke, except for one little bit at the end. Halo's multiplayer was not actually expected to be a success. In fact, they had actually cut the multiplayer from it toward the end of development and due to popular request it was quickly thrown back on in the last couple weeks of development. So not only was most of the game itself built in only 7 months, but the multiplayer itself was almost completely designed in 2-3 weeks times.

I point that out just to state that it's not the reason they went with a 2-weapon system. Bungie's goal for making this game was, quite literally, to evolve military combat. They wanted to build a game with a diversified arsenal of weapons with varying capabilities and an array of different enemies that would demand different approaches to overcome effectively. They enforced this by making the game less Run N' Gun and forcing the chief to effectively use cover, conserve ammunition, and balance the choice of weapons you would carry. This was particularly stressed in the second half of the game where you had Covenant and Flood, both of which were weak against very different types of weaponry.