This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

For GPU longevity, is it better to fluctuate fan speed to keep temp down or

#1i_am_AcTivePosted 8/5/2013 12:02:17 PM(edited)
have it at a constant fan speed, but temp can get up to the 70s during high performing games?

I'm using MSI Afterburner to do the former. Is it a good idea or should I just revert back to the default constant 40% fan speed (suggest another constant % if you want)?

http://i.imgur.com/cqcccHX.jpg

---
http://i.imgur.com/oguLYAp.png - Thanks urmomishawt
#2Logical_OnePosted 8/5/2013 12:00:30 PM
I use MSI AB to control the fan speed based on temperature. Better functionality and less noise.
---
Gamefaqs....the land where pokemon is the holy grail and final fantasy is God himself--Raptorleon3
#3Killah PriestPosted 8/5/2013 12:03:57 PM
I enabled user defined controls and have it go 100% when the temps are above 80.

its like 30% at 40c 50% at 50c 75% at 70c and 100% 80c and above.

older card that runs hot probably has dust in the heatsink but I'm not ready to open the shroud, fan is also caked with black tar.

I should really just suck it up, open the shroud and either clean it or install a better cooler... but I'm lazy and it doesn't crash its just loud and hot.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#4romsnbombsPosted 8/5/2013 12:22:55 PM
If you have blower fan, it's best to not $%$ it up by either running it too fast, or having your own fan profile which ramps up or fluctuates. The GPU is fine even at 85 degree. You're not going to make it "live longer" by keeping that temp down. But if the bearings in that blower fan go, well, good luck trying to find new one.

Anyone who altered 780 reference blower fan is a moron. This thing is awesome and so is GPU boost 2.0
---
2600k | P8P67 M Pro | 8GB | GTX 780 | 700W silent pro
#5Snuckie7Posted 8/5/2013 12:27:25 PM
Run a fan curve for the best results.

Running the fan at a constantly high speed = worn out fan bearings.

Running the fan too low = decreased life span of your GPU core and circuitry.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#6Killah PriestPosted 8/5/2013 12:30:16 PM
How long would it take to wear out the bearings would you say?

My card is a little over 2 years old and for about a year or so I've run it manually full speed (never used afterburner I always just used ASUS Smartdoctor and its fan curve settings were not very good)

been using afterburner and the fan curve for a few months now because I was sick of the fan noise drowning out anything I did (not a fan of headphones)

my cpu fan was also doing 4200RPM but thats a different story and I sussed that.
---
#7PigfartsPosted 8/5/2013 12:31:10 PM
If I am not overclocking and and everything is stock do I need to mess with the fan setting? I just built a computer 3 weeks ago, slapped it together and left all setting default, is that okay?
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#8Snuckie7Posted 8/5/2013 12:33:04 PM
Pigfarts posted...
If I am not overclocking and and everything is stock do I need to mess with the fan setting? I just built a computer 3 weeks ago, slapped it together and left all setting default, is that okay?

That's fine, but you can always get better performance (acoustic and cooling wise) if you adjust your fan profile to suit your particular card and needs.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#9ShebeskiiPosted 8/5/2013 1:34:37 PM(edited)
Killah Priest posted...
How long would it take to wear out the bearings would you say?

My card is a little over 2 years old and for about a year or so I've run it manually full speed (never used afterburner I always just used ASUS Smartdoctor and its fan curve settings were not very good)

been using afterburner and the fan curve for a few months now because I was sick of the fan noise drowning out anything I did (not a fan of headphones)

my cpu fan was also doing 4200RPM but thats a different story and I sussed that.

What you're doing isn't any good. You don't know better than the manufacturer. Go buy some compressed air and clean out the heat sink and try to avoid doing silly things.

On standard style fans 100% is essentially emergency mode. It's not meant to run at that speed under normal operation and keeping temps below 80C is silly on that card. It's why you're having such a hard time cooling it: it doesn't need it.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#10Killah PriestPosted 8/5/2013 1:49:05 PM
You don't think I've used compressed air?

I never said it was a good idea, I just wondered how long it would take for the bearings to go.

If I don't put the fans on 100 @ 80 it goes OVER 100 and things start to get weird. If I trust the manufacturer then I'd just use the automatic settings and the card would overheat and crash.

Like I said it has BLACK TAR in it and needs the shroud to be completely removed for a proper cleaning and I feel if I do that I might as well order an aftermarket cooler and use that.
---