This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PCH: What's your choice smartphone OS choice?

#41lucarioforprezPosted 8/5/2013 9:10:21 PM
I can't wait for Ubuntu mobile OS to come out.
---
GT: Ten Desires
I will give a cookie to whoever knows what my gamertag is a reference to :)
#42TimePharaohPosted 8/5/2013 9:12:57 PM
lucarioforprez posted...
I can't wait for Ubuntu mobile OS to come out.

You can already use normal Ubuntu on any Android phone
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#43someguyshandPosted 8/5/2013 10:14:29 PM
I have an iPhone 3GS right now but I would go with an Android phone as my next one.

At least I wouldn't have to jump through hoops just to set up my own ****ing ring tone.
---
(Insert Name) killed Some Guy
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55859/122kyz9.gif
#44guy_in_oaklandPosted 8/5/2013 11:41:52 PM
Windows phone 8 master race
---
PSN:intayaz
Steam ID:intayaz
#45ein311Posted 8/6/2013 12:41:55 AM(edited)
KillerTruffle posted...
Google lost some points with me with the Jellybean update (slowed my Razr Maxx down rather than sped it up)

You have to realize that with Android, the carriers and the individual manufacturers are the ones responsible for OS updates. Google only provides updates for its Nexus line of devices (and even then, with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, it was delayed for stupid reasons).
These updates can also include added carrier and manufacturer bloat (including reskinning and added/removed features). It isn't representative of Google's advancements of the OS, but more of the manufacturer's ability to take an already decent OS and manage to screw with it because they feel the need to.

Android is fragmented and it's inherently so because of the rapid release of new products and the slow updates due to manufacturers wanting to skin everything. New phones being released with 4.1 while 4.3 is out is just stupid.
Android phones only getting a 6-month life cycle because the carrier decided to release an incremental upgrade (HTC One X vs HTC One X+) is stupid.
Allowing carriers to dictate what sort of features and apps come preinstalled on phones, and forcing software updates to go through approval processes (which historically have taken many weeks to months) is stupid.

Android was supposed to be this awesome, open, freely available phone OS that has just turned into a big cluster.

I'm glad to see Google taking steps to try and combat the fragmentation and its push for better Tablet presence (the new Nexus 7 looks awesome), but right now if you're wanting to be caught up with Android, you're going to be upgrading your phone once a year at least.

The nice thing with the iOS ecosystem is that Apple controls software and hardware updates. This allows them to fine-tune an OS across a few devices and allow for support for many years, rather than having to buy a whole new device every 6 months since HTC negleted app updates since Sense 5.5 is coming out on their next revision.

With this understanding I can see why Apple has such a strong following among "normal" consumers. Android does have its place, and for enthusiasts and geeks it is a great mobile OS. So even with its shortcomings, I am a fan of Android.

WIndows Phone has so much potential but I just can't see myself relying on it on a daily basis.
Blackberry's playing catchup and isn't doing a good job.
Is Symbian even relevant anymore? I feel Tizen should be mentioned if you're still going to give a shout out to Symbian.

Edit: For those that may reply saying "but you can root your Android device and put a different ROM on it!!"
Yeah. I've had experience with a variety of manufacturers and a variety of Android phones over the years. If you don't have one of the popular models that has a lot of development support behind it, you'll be left with maybe 3-5 different ROM choices, and of those you may have maybe 1-2 that work reliably enough to get you through the day. And even with original ROM development you may still have features that are just outright missing because of one reason or another.
The "freedom" of Android ROM installation/etc. is great, but the process is far from accessible to everyone and it takes a certain understanding that you may get some features that are broken or not perfect that the common person won't put up with.

---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#46eddy1nsanePosted 8/6/2013 3:34:15 AM
is there a way to put winxp / win 7 os on a phone??
---
God created the world, everything else are made in China
#47codyorrPosted 8/6/2013 5:21:41 AM
Orestes417 posted...
Honestly I prefer "dumb" phones. If you held a gun to my head I'd go Android though if only because the hardware tends to be more hackable.

This is how I feel as well. I've never purchased an app or downloaded a free app. I think my phone now is a smart phone but I don't use it for anything other than calls and a rare text message.
#48MarceloSampaioPosted 8/6/2013 5:58:14 AM
I don't have a cellphone. I don't like having a phone with me all the time.

But if I ever got a smartphone, I would go for Windows Mobile. Apple sucks (my bro has an I-Phone) since its to restricted, and Android feels too convoluted.
---
:3
If you accept Gaben as your true lard and savior, put this on your sig. :)
#49gastamanPosted 8/6/2013 9:23:12 AM
ein311 posted...
WIndows Phone has so much potential but I just can't see myself relying on it on a daily basis.

Out of curiosity, where do you think it has lots of potential and what do you find lacking that prevents you from using it as a daily?
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200