This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Super new to pc gaming

#31daemon_danPosted 8/5/2013 6:24:16 PM
The_Mighty_Quin posted...
So I guess both you fellas think SMT4 is worth playing?

I've never tried the series, but I suppose it's worth $10 at least ($40 - $30 eShop credit).

SMT4 is worth it. And I think the game is still 50, isn't it?

But yeah, it definitely is. Pretty much all of the SMT games are. I know some like to dismiss Persona as a high school dating sim with some dungeon crawling but IMO it's so much more than that. But the core games are where it's at for JRPG fans who love some dark storytelling.
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#32AdamantRockPosted 8/5/2013 6:28:22 PM

I've never tried the series, but I suppose it's worth $10 at least ($40 - $30 eShop credit).

Absolutely. Have you played (and enjoyed) Etrian Odyssey? Persona 4? This game has first person, turn based combat with Persona's (really Nocturne's as it came first) Press Turn battle system and Demon fusing mechanics. Except unlike Persona you're managing and directing a team of demons rather than uncontrollable, generic school kids. I'm loving it. Maybe check Metacritic and watch a few Youtube introductory vids to see if it's for you (but beware of spoilers if you do! The plot has lots of shocking swerves that could be ruined for you!)
---
Now Playing: Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
Up Next: Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
#33daemon_danPosted 8/5/2013 6:30:18 PM
AdamantRock posted...

Absolutely. Have you played (and enjoyed) Etrian Odyssey? Persona 4? This game has first person, turn based combat with Persona's (really Nocturne's as it came first) Press Turn battle system and Demon fusing mechanics. Except unlike Persona you're managing and directing a team of demons rather than uncontrollable, generic school kids. I'm loving it. Maybe check Metacritic and watch a few Youtube introductory vids to see if it's for you (but beware of spoilers if you do! The plot has lots of shocking swerves that could be ruined for you!)

Yeah, the fact you can't control your team in the console releases of p3 and 4 sucked. If you have a Vita, I would highly suggest P3P and P4Golden. Definitive versions, IMO, and you can set your allies' tactics to direct control
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#34The_Mighty_QuinPosted 8/5/2013 6:31:32 PM
K, will check out. I've never tried the Persona series but they look cool too. Not worth getting a system just to play though. And I played the EO4 demo and loved it, would buy it except that I have quite a backlog already and haven't played the previous ones yet. (Heard the 3DS remake of EO1 was pretty bad)
#35AdamantRockPosted 8/5/2013 6:35:10 PM
daemon_dan posted...
AdamantRock posted...
@daemon_dan: Sorry if I sounded a bit dismissive in my comment. I agree that words mean things, but in a novice's thread I think we should cut some slack. As for Fire Emblem, I haven't bought it yet. Evidently, the promo is running through the end of the month and I'm still playing IV, so I'll just buy FE:A later. And yeah, that's a killer deal Ninty's got runnin' here. I'm a long time Atlus / Megaten fan, so I was going to buy SMT IV no matter what. I was already considering Awakening what with the high review scores, but the credit was just too good to pass up. This'll be my first Fire Emblem game.

I played the gamecube ones. If you like turn based strategy RPGs, Fire Emblem won't disappoint. My comments about ill-informed were to those saying "YEAH IT'LL MAX THINGS!!!" and trying to inform him his friend is either ill informed or misleading him.
The first MegaTen game I played was Demikids for GBA, shortly before the release of Nocturne. Been getting my hands on all the MegaTen games I can since then. Was super hyped for 4 and have not been disappointed in the slightest.

I know! I'm just starting my second playthrough (here's a free tip: before the final battle put a demon you want to keep on the Streetpass card. When you start the game, whether on Reincarnation or even New Recruit, you'll have that demon in your stock when you resume.) Mine was Nocturne; It was badass! At first I was a little let down by the lack of 3D demon sprites and 3rd person battles, but I'm having an absolute blast! Got Law and now going for Neutral. Did you download the free White Samurai DLC quests yet? That armor is swag.
---
#36lionheart5656Posted 8/5/2013 6:36:55 PM
I'd get 16GB of ram because ram is dirt cheap and if you want to future proof it for a while, you might need more ram.

Also, change out that video card for a 7970 from AMD or 770/780 from Nvidia and you'll be fine for a few years.

Also, if your friend isn't a moron, he could overclock your processor to hit 4ghz+ easily. Buy an aftermarket cooler and then you'll definitely be set for anything that could come your way for a while.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#37daemon_danPosted 8/5/2013 6:37:24 PM
AdamantRock posted...
daemon_dan posted...
AdamantRock posted...
@daemon_dan: Sorry if I sounded a bit dismissive in my comment. I agree that words mean things, but in a novice's thread I think we should cut some slack. As for Fire Emblem, I haven't bought it yet. Evidently, the promo is running through the end of the month and I'm still playing IV, so I'll just buy FE:A later. And yeah, that's a killer deal Ninty's got runnin' here. I'm a long time Atlus / Megaten fan, so I was going to buy SMT IV no matter what. I was already considering Awakening what with the high review scores, but the credit was just too good to pass up. This'll be my first Fire Emblem game.

I played the gamecube ones. If you like turn based strategy RPGs, Fire Emblem won't disappoint. My comments about ill-informed were to those saying "YEAH IT'LL MAX THINGS!!!" and trying to inform him his friend is either ill informed or misleading him.
The first MegaTen game I played was Demikids for GBA, shortly before the release of Nocturne. Been getting my hands on all the MegaTen games I can since then. Was super hyped for 4 and have not been disappointed in the slightest.

I know! I'm just starting my second playthrough (here's a free tip: before the final battle put a demon you want to keep on the Streetpass card. When you start the game, whether on Reincarnation or even New Recruit, you'll have that demon in your stock when you resume.) Mine was Nocturne; It was badass! At first I was a little let down by the lack of 3D demon sprites and 3rd person battles, but I'm having an absolute blast! Got Law and now going for Neutral. Did you download the free White Samurai DLC quests yet? That armor is swag.

I got those as soon as I got the game xD I'm still working through the first playthrough, about 20 hours. Got too much PC backlog to devote too much time to one game, although at times I find myself playing SMT4 more than I intended with no regrets.
---
#38AdamantRockPosted 8/5/2013 6:41:45 PM
daemon_dan posted...
AdamantRock posted...

Yeah, the fact you can't control your team in the console releases of p3 and 4 sucked. If you have a Vita, I would highly suggest P3P and P4Golden. Definitive versions, IMO, and you can set your allies' tactics to direct control

I'm trying to hold off on the Vita, at least for now. I never owned a PSP and while P3P and P4tG (and Corpse Party and Dissidia) are appetizing, I can't justify a two hundred fifty dollar (plus the cost of the proprietary memory card) just for those games, especially since I already own the originals. I'll wait until I see a price cut, a bundle with a large memory card, and some more exclusives. It's not like I'm at a loss for things to play atm.
---
#39JKatarnPosted 8/5/2013 8:18:06 PM
daemon_dan posted...
jebral posted...
daemon_dan posted...

uses the term "max"

Likely has several of the more demanding functions off.

Please, start saying "highest detail setting" rather than max. It makes a lot of you look REALLY ill-informed.

Please inform me of what I'm doing wrong. If I set all of the settings to maximum, am I not maxing out a game? Do I have to meet framerate standards to max something? Metro LL, for instance, runs just fine with all maximum settings except for AA. I turn it off, because yes, it does impact performance. But doesn't necessarily destroy it. So Metro, at those settings, gets a perfectly playable framerate in 1080p, even if not a perfect solid 60fps. So I say max, or damn near.

If that makes me seem ill informed, oh well. I'm just trying to let the guy know that it's a fine system if he's new to PC gaming, and it will last him a while unless he feels the need to always be on the cutting edge.

So turning off a setting is max settings to you? How about PhysX? Tesselation? I highly doubt you have those and highest quality textures on a ****ing 660. Kthx

Woah...calm down dude, why are you getting so aggravated over someone claiming they can max a game? Some medication/therapy probably wouldn't be a bad idea.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#40JKatarnPosted 8/5/2013 8:20:22 PM
daemon_dan posted...
jebral posted...
daemon_dan posted...
jebral posted...
Tell you what, I'm going to re-download it just to see exactly what kind of performance I get.

I'll tell you in a few hours.

Okay. Make sure to turn EVERYTHING besides AA up and see how it does. And actually use FRAPS, don't just eyeball it.

Don't worry, I don't have that sort of inhuman faith in my eyes, I use fraps all the time, haha.

You would not believe how many people here think they are getting 40-60 FPS but when they use FRAPS are getting >30. It's kind of appalling xD

Well, it may shock you, but not everyone has your eyes/plays games a lot in their free time. You and I and most of the people in this thread may be able to tell the difference, but a casual gamer/someone with less attuned eyes may not.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES