This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Selling PC on Craigslist: scam or not a scam?

#1hunter1235Posted 8/5/2013 6:51:11 PM
Hey guys, I'm selling the pc in my signature on craigslist and initially received a response asking for my email address if it was still available. After letting the buyer know an email address ( no other info), I get a message that says this:

Thank very much for the response,according to the description am okaywith the price and the condition pasted on Craigslist. I am ready tomake an instant purchase and I would be very glad to inform you thatMy Office will be mailing overnight CERTIFIED CHECK from my salary tocover the cost of the item as you request,pls consider the item soldto me and do withdraw the advert from Craigslist to avoid disturbancefrom another buyer,I really wish to be there to check out the item buti don't have a chance because am a very busy person and i promisesmoothly transaction.i'll be going on business triptomorrow but iwon't be back to USA not until August 29th,so Concerning the pick up,i will arrange for a local pick up after you receive my payment... iwant you to send the picture of the item to my email address with thedetails to mail out the CHECK to you asap if you are willing tosale for me, such as
Name:
Address: Not P.O.BOX
City:State:
Postal Code:
Cell Phone Number: That i can send text

And as soon as you email me the info to mail out the payment to you iwill contact my My Office to overnight the payment to you via UPS ORFEDEX COURIER..i will be given you extra $50 to hold the item for meuntil you receive the payment, i look forward to hear from you asap
Best Regard

-----
First of all, the formatting isn't really that bad it just copies stupidly from Hotmail, but it is somewhat bad. I know some parts scream scam but in case this person is for real shouldn't I just ask for a phone number and be like we can talk there?

Please let me know what you guys think! Thanks
---
PC: HD 5850 - i5 750 - G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1600 - Cavier Blue 500GB - CM Storm Scout - Gigabyte P55MUD2 - Corsaid 600W CX600M- ASUS 23" 1920x1080
#2BendoHendoPosted 8/5/2013 6:51:57 PM
It's legit bro.

--
#3mikewu1Posted 8/5/2013 6:52:30 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4Cool_Dude667Posted 8/5/2013 6:53:08 PM
If the horrible spelling didn't tip you off, the payment method should've.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#5TheWidowmaker1Posted 8/5/2013 6:53:46 PM
I'd say scam. The fact that he's not in the U.S. at the time of purchase screams scam. My brother was almost scammed on Craigslist in a similar manner, purchaser out of the country and wanting to sending a third party to pick it up.
#6Bossdog421Posted 8/5/2013 6:53:54 PM
Odd, i got damn near the same email from someone when i tried to sell mine. Wrote it off as a scam and found someone else.
---
Type into Google - do a barrel roll
#7AraphosPosted 8/5/2013 6:55:22 PM
yea, that's scam alright, trust your gut on these things.
#8DerPancakePosted 8/5/2013 6:56:15 PM
See I have sold many things in craiglist, and in my experience the ones with bad grammar have actually been the legit buyers, but the way this guy is setting the payment is kind of fishy.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
#9hunter1235(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2013 6:57:47 PM
TheWidowmaker1 posted...
I'd say scam. The fact that he's not in the U.S. at the time of purchase screams scam. My brother was almost scammed on Craigslist in a similar manner, purchaser out of the country and wanting to sending a third party to pick it up.

I know right. It's like hey $50 with your name on it if you keep it for me oh and I'm a busy person going on a trip tomorrow.. Buy I'd like to buy a gaming pc for my leisure time between flights lol.. And if they wanted it so bad they wouldn't ask for my email as the first response. They'd tell me their interest and to contact them in whichever way.

Should I respond?
---
PC: HD 5850 - i5 750 - G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1600 - Cavier Blue 500GB - CM Storm Scout - Gigabyte P55MUD2 - Corsaid 600W CX600M- ASUS 23" 1920x1080
#10blakegallowayPosted 8/5/2013 6:59:00 PM
I always like the ones that want to give you extra money.