This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Excel formatting question

#11PigfartsPosted 8/6/2013 7:02:28 AM
Louisville15 posted...
Ok, so I have a bunch of data points on sheet 1. I want sheet 2 to contain pie charts based on the data from sheet 1, which I know how to do. However, how do I make the charts on sheet 2 the exact same size, and aligned perfectly? Ideally I want to have a three column grid. Manually setting the chart dimensions gives the same size, but it's impossible to align them evenly. Halp!

to align something in pp, or excel, turn on the rulers, then zoom in 400%, when you zoom in that far you can micro move lines around. in order to get the area the same size, copy the chart, then change in reference in chart options.

You can trust me, I work at burger king so I knew these things
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#12PigfartsPosted 8/6/2013 7:04:22 AM
Shub posted...
I think you'll have an easier time doing page layout stuff in Word or PowerPoint, Excel is not made for this. But it's easy to make the borders touch, just drag and drop the charts with your mouse, then use the align feature.

you can aslo use the align feature then hold shift to only move them horizontal or vertical.

Do it in 400% like i said.
---
#13ShubPosted 8/6/2013 7:07:52 AM
Yep, that would work, too.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#14Louisville15(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 7:20:32 AM
Shub posted...
If you want everything in one file, then you can embed your Excel stuff into Word. MS Office is very good at integrating its various components seamlessly between one another.

Sheet 1 is number heavy though (ton of formulas, too) and would probably look like crap in Word. Sheet 2 is a line graph + grid of pie charts, and sheet 3 is raw data used in combination with sheet 1 to create the graphs in sheet 2.
---
i7 930 @ 3.6 | EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature 2 | EVGA E758 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Windows 8 | OCZ ZX1250 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | 240GB Mushkin Chronos | AW2310
#15PigfartsPosted 8/6/2013 7:27:07 AM
Louisville15 posted...
Shub posted...
If you want everything in one file, then you can embed your Excel stuff into Word. MS Office is very good at integrating its various components seamlessly between one another.

Sheet 1 is number heavy though (ton of formulas, too) and would probably look like crap in Word. Sheet 2 is a line graph + grid of pie charts, and sheet 3 is raw data used in combination with sheet 1 to create the graphs in sheet 2.

The reason it looks like crap is b/c of the grid lines, either 1) remove grid lines. 2) change the background color to white.

When you paste the excel data into word that way paste it as a picture not a link or else you word file will reference your excel file and it will be a lot more MBs.

If sheet 3 is a bunch of raw data you want to make a pivot table in sheet one to organise it, then make a new sheet and using vlookup's and what not to make it into deliverable report. Then make the charts based on sheet on pivot.
---
#16Louisville15(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 7:39:29 AM
Pigfarts posted...
Louisville15 posted...
Shub posted...

The reason it looks like crap is b/c of the grid lines, either 1) remove grid lines. 2) change the background color to white.

When you paste the excel data into word that way paste it as a picture not a link or else you word file will reference your excel file and it will be a lot more MBs.

If sheet 3 is a bunch of raw data you want to make a pivot table in sheet one to organise it, then make a new sheet and using vlookup's and what not to make it into deliverable report. Then make the charts based on sheet on pivot.

Sheet 1 is constantly being updated though. Wouldn't that cause issues in Word? It's an active file I'm working with, not a finished report.
---
i7 930 @ 3.6 | EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature 2 | EVGA E758 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Windows 8 | OCZ ZX1250 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | 240GB Mushkin Chronos | AW2310
#17Louisville15(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 7:54:52 AM
Sheet one is a giant table, BTW.
---
#18PigfartsPosted 8/6/2013 7:58:20 AM
Louisville15 posted...
Pigfarts posted...
Louisville15 posted...
Shub posted...

Sheet 1 is constantly being updated though. Wouldn't that cause issues in Word? It's an active file I'm working with, not a finished report.

Then either save the pasting part for last, or keep it as a link and refesh it in the "edit links" section. Personnally I keep all my graphs in excel and they look fine, get rid of the grid lines and they will look better.

If the final format of your project going to be something printable and handed in, or are you handing in a soft copy through email?
---
#19Louisville15(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 8:06:17 AM
Pigfarts posted...
Louisville15 posted...
Pigfarts posted...
Louisville15 posted...
Shub posted...

Then either save the pasting part for last, or keep it as a link and refesh it in the "edit links" section. Personnally I keep all my graphs in excel and they look fine, get rid of the grid lines and they will look better.

If the final format of your project going to be something printable and handed in, or are you handing in a soft copy through email?

Personal finance tracking. :3
---