This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, should I just buy any console games on Steam now?

#11JKatarnPosted 8/6/2013 10:57:23 AM
Not necessarily, I would wait for reviews as once in a while a truly bad port slips through that is better played on the consoles. It's rare, but it happens.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#12JKatarnPosted 8/6/2013 11:00:28 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
I'll add, some DRM is just bad...
So if the game uses soemthing like uPlay or Games for windows live. Get the console version instead, much less hassle.

Um no, the PC versions of many Games for Windows/uPlay games like Batman Arkham City and Assassin's Creed III are clearly superior and well worth dealing with the minor inconvenience of something like GFWL or U-Play. I don't understand the constant griping over GFWL, I've personally never had it eat any of my saves, and at the most I have to click "login" when I told the game to auto-login. Don't run 10,000 random processes like FRAPs, Afterburner etc. in the background and you probably won't have issues. That is not to say it's perfect, but it's far far from the plague on humanity people make it out to be.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
#13ThePHiLsTeRPosted 8/6/2013 11:22:40 AM
Knight2520 posted...
Fallout does not use windows live.

Fallout 3 does. Or it did. I don't know if they removed it. And yes, it is bad.

How can I tell if a game uses it?

Usually the store page, wherever you purchase it, will tell you what client is required to install and play the game. If you're unsure, take a look on the game's forum or do a Google search.

No number was stated on fallout so i assumed he was referring to #1.
---
i5-2500k, azrock z68 Gen3 Extreme 3, 8g ram, win7, crossfire sapphire 6850, 256gb Samsung 840, CM QuickFirePro Brown Switches, Korean IPS monitor, Playstation 3
#14reincarnator07Posted 8/6/2013 11:42:29 AM
With a couple of notable exceptions (original FF7, Saints Row 2 and DMC3 come to mind), yes. Even the most basic ports are usually better than the console versions just because of the higher resolution and often lower prices. If you are unsure, check google.

Saints Row 3 is a good port, runs well and doesn't have any draconian DRM. I'd assume 4 would be the same.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#15KURRUPTORPosted 8/6/2013 12:52:17 PM
GFWL isn't that bad of a DRM anymore. Slightly annoying but it auto-launches as the game loads up and just sits in the backround after that. It's not really obtrusive and in all honesty I don't see how you'd ever really notice it after the first time setting it up.

U-play is annoying as hell though. I hate having to launch steam then launch U-play then launch my game.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#16SteamsterPosted 8/6/2013 12:56:51 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#17SkaterUB(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 8:08:55 PM
ThePHiLsTeR posted...
Knight2520 posted...
Fallout does not use windows live.

Fallout 3 does. Or it did. I don't know if they removed it. And yes, it is bad.

How can I tell if a game uses it?

Usually the store page, wherever you purchase it, will tell you what client is required to install and play the game. If you're unsure, take a look on the game's forum or do a Google search.

No number was stated on fallout so i assumed he was referring to #1.

Sorry, I was referring to Fallout 3. Had to use Windows Live.

I also got free Hitman games for PC when I bought Absolution. Is it worth it to keep the Gamestop program just to play them?
---
XBL/PSN: ShadowShooter93
3DS FC: 1332-8869-6872
#18ZukkusPosted 8/6/2013 8:11:10 PM
SkaterUB posted...
How's Saints Row? I have the third on both and haven't played it on PC yet. Can you mod the game?

Saint's Row 3 is perfectly fine of PC. They learned their lesson after the terribly unoptimized port that was Saints Row 2.
---
"I just wasted a bullet. Don't waste your life." -Big Boss
#19ThePHiLsTeRPosted 8/6/2013 8:18:06 PM
Just keep gamestop installed. It only takes up a few mb's, Do allow it to open on windows startup. So it doesn't take up resources.

How long you going to play this game? I figure 30-100 hours. After you're done then uninstall if it bothers you that much.

I can see this being a problem if it was a multiplayer game you plan on logging but load of hours. Bc then you'd need gamestop running all the time.

This is the same reason why people hate origin. They have to have steam and origin open. Games like battlefield 3 and mass effect 3 have active multiplayer.
---
i5-2500k, azrock z68 Gen3 Extreme 3, 8g ram, win7, crossfire sapphire 6850, 256gb Samsung 840, CM QuickFirePro Brown Switches, Korean IPS monitor, Playstation 3
#20JKatarnPosted 8/7/2013 11:45:22 AM
Zukkus posted...
SkaterUB posted...
How's Saints Row? I have the third on both and haven't played it on PC yet. Can you mod the game?

Saint's Row 3 is perfectly fine of PC. They learned their lesson after the terribly unoptimized port that was Saints Row 2.

I won't argue that Saint's Row 2 is the most optimized or least buggy release on the PC (far from it), but I recently bought the Deep Silver Humble Bundle, and provided you have a decent modern GPU and CPU it's generally very playable, though choppier than I'd like in places (not defending the game/optimization, just informing potentially interested people that it is at least playable on a modern machine).
---