This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

sub $800 mini itx build

#1CheeseCurlsPosted 8/6/2013 10:28:21 AM
so I wanted to set a hard budget for once, as this is not going to be a main computer. I thought it might be fun to try and put together a mini ITX build though

anyone want to toss their own suggestions in though? Here is what I have now

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1oWJR

whats the opinion on OCZ power supplies? I usually stick with the main brands (SeaSonic, Silverstone, corsair)

I'd love to go haswell, but the MOBO choices for ITX are limited and generally overpriced, coupled with paying more for the haswell CPU I just can't seem to fit it into the budget.

Though if I downgraded GPU for CPU I could, but I don't really like that idea.
---
Perhaps I am already insane, and am just the last to know.
#2ShubPosted 8/6/2013 10:38:18 AM
The OCZ Fatal1ty units are OK. If you need a cheap-ish modular unit, it does the job. It's also one of your only options if you want a red LED. If you don't want a LED, then... well, get another a PSU. A Corsair CX500M would do just fine here.

I would suggest you get a B75, H77 or Z77 motherboard instead of H61. H61 was a Sandy Bridge chipset, and while it's technically compatible with Ivy Bridge CPUs such as the i5-3470, it would need to be at or above a specific BIOS version, and there's no guarantee that the motherboard will come with that BIOS version out of the box. Getting one of the three aforementioned chipsets removes that concern.

Finally, make sure the CM 212 EVO fits in that case. You might consider a smaller heat sink, it's not like you need something big for a CPU you can't overclock. Noctua has the NH-U9B SE2 or NH-L9i which you might consider.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3r0ge00Posted 8/6/2013 10:41:21 AM
I'm sure the EVO will fit in the Prodigy, but I would probably go with a low profile cooler or a smaller closed loop water cooler. Also, the motherboard seems pretty slim on features. The Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI is a pretty good deal and would be more compatible out of the box with your CPU.
#4CheeseCurls(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 10:44:54 AM
from everything I've read the heatsink sits fine, since the case has a horizontal motherboard, there is a lot of vertical clearance

I have a SB CPU I could flash the BIOS with, however alleviating that concern might be worth it, MOBO suggestion in the budget?

I thought minimum for GTX 760 is 550watt? I really have little doubt a 500 watt would be fine, but maybe a CX600? I can check the price there
---
#5CheeseCurls(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 10:47:57 AM
r0ge00 posted...
I'm sure the EVO will fit in the Prodigy, but I would probably go with a low profile cooler or a smaller closed loop water cooler. Also, the motherboard seems pretty slim on features. The Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI is a pretty good deal and would be more compatible out of the box with your CPU.
closed loops break the budget I set (and damnit I'm sticking to a budget for once!) $25 more for the MOBO would also break the budget (I don't count mail in rebates) though if a cut can be made elsewhere, that isn't a bad price for that MOBO.

Any suggestions for cooler at the same price range as the EVO?
---
#6r0ge00Posted 8/6/2013 10:54:04 AM
If you don't count MIRs, then there isn't much you can do to improve that unless you get a lower clocked i5. You could also drop the video card down, but the 760 is a really solid buy right now.
#7CheeseCurls(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 10:57:47 AM
r0ge00 posted...
If you don't count MIRs, then there isn't much you can do to improve that unless you get a lower clocked i5. You could also drop the video card down, but the 760 is a really solid buy right now.
well, I swapped the RAM over to some crucial sticks and upped the MOBO to the one you suggested.
---
#8CheeseCurls(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 11:04:27 AM
swapped the 212 with a TX3, and am down to $780 (until I add keyboard/mouse/monitor but whatever)
---
#9PhilOnDezPosted 8/6/2013 12:44:25 PM
Did you look at silverstone's Sugo line? A lot of really awesome mitx cases, I like the SG-05 (SG-05bb for USB 3.0 and 450w PSU) but the SG-06 and 07 are nice too. The 05 and 06 are pretty equal to your current case/PSU as far as price goes, and the included PSU's are solid.

You'll need an LP or AIO cooler to go with them though, not that you couldn't get away with using the stock cooler for that processor.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez