This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best use of $20 on Steam

#1NauticalDisastaPosted 8/6/2013 11:46:28 AM(edited)
I don't spend a lot of time on Steam so I'm not really familiar with the store and its deals. I was recently given a gift card for $20 on Steam and would like some opinions on how to spend it. I like pretty much any genre of game, also would like to find something with an active multiplayer. It could be one $20 game or a combination of cheaper games.

What would you recommend?

Edit: Also, is tax added to the price shown on Steam? or is it pay what you see?
---
"Either it'll move me, or it'll move right though me. Fully. Completely." - Gordon Downie
360/Steam= NauticalDisasta
#2KillerTrufflePosted 8/6/2013 12:01:23 PM
Tax is added in certain states - actually, maybe only Washington? I don't recall.

And the best use of your money would be to watch the daily deals (different game on sale every day), midweek madness (Tues-Thurs) and weekend deals (Thurs-Sun). Games there are usually the lowest price they'll be for a while.

Or you could hang onto the money until the winter/holiday sale, or if they have a fall sale this year (they've had a small one before). Sales are typically the smartest way to use your money on Steam.

However, ultimately, the "best" use of your money tho is to just make sure you buy something you'll enjoy with it.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#3NauticalDisasta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 12:10:45 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Tax is added in certain states - actually, maybe only Washington? I don't recall.

And the best use of your money would be to watch the daily deals (different game on sale every day), midweek madness (Tues-Thurs) and weekend deals (Thurs-Sun). Games there are usually the lowest price they'll be for a while.

Or you could hang onto the money until the winter/holiday sale, or if they have a fall sale this year (they've had a small one before). Sales are typically the smartest way to use your money on Steam.

However, ultimately, the "best" use of your money tho is to just make sure you buy something you'll enjoy with it.

Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking of spending this $20 now and just buying myself a few gift card when the next big sale comes around.
---
"Either it'll move me, or it'll move right though me. Fully. Completely." - Gordon Downie
#4SzymaaPosted 8/6/2013 12:21:46 PM
If you want to buy something now, I highly recommend FTL. It's $10 bucks, and a damn fine game.
---
~Bow chicka bow wow~
I survived ApocalyPS3 & ApocalyPS3 2: Among Thieves
#5NauticalDisasta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 1:04:16 PM
bump... Any more suggestions?
---
#6KillerTrufflePosted 8/6/2013 1:06:53 PM
If you're looking for games now, any specific genre or other games you liked? That can help with suggestions... There are tons of great games, it just depends what you like.
---
#7Ch3wyPosted 8/6/2013 1:07:50 PM
Well the best use is to wait for a sale that catches your eye. Otherwise you will buy a game and it will go 75% off one week later. This happens every single time.

But if you must get a game right now, just get 20 more dollars and buy Euro Truck Simulator 2.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#8KillerTrufflePosted 8/6/2013 1:10:12 PM
Well, you mentioned multiplayer... DOTA 2 is active, and free, but the community pretty well sucks, and it can have a steep learning curve. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy most online communities, so I don't keep up with which games still have active multiplayer. I can name loads of fun singleplayer games tho.
---
#9NauticalDisasta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 1:15:13 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Well, you mentioned multiplayer... DOTA 2 is active, and free, but the community pretty well sucks, and it can have a steep learning curve. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy most online communities, so I don't keep up with which games still have active multiplayer. I can name loads of fun singleplayer games tho.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the Dota community. As for genres, I like RPG, RTS, FPS. I was thinking about picking up one of the older Call of Duty games (MW or maybe WaW) or maybe Batllefront 2 (not sure if the online is still active).
---
#10KillerTrufflePosted 8/6/2013 1:27:02 PM
Yeah... I've managed to avoid the DOTA community and just played custom games with friends vs. bots. As far as gameplay, it really is a pretty entertaining game, with a huge variety of heroes to use, and elements of strategy and RPG, typical MOBA style. It's still worth looking at even if you never join the full community (which I think I wouldn't recommend).

Can't speak for the Call of Duty games - I've hated all of them since CoD2, as they've become more casual, generic rehash, and the communities in those games is quite immature too. You could look at UT3 Black - I'm sure you'd find people to play with, and the fact that it actually requires a bit of skill to play means there *should* be fewer issues with jerks, although with the Internet, you can't totally escape that anywhere. I believe there is also still some activity on UT2k4, since a lot of people prefer that one over UT3 still.

For strategy, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance is one of my favorites, although I dunno what online might be like. C&C 3 + Kane's Wrath just showed up not too long ago on Steam too, and it's actually not too bad.

If you enjoy RPGs, those aren't usually as multiplayer focused, but I'd absolutely say check out Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines if you haven't before. It's a great RPG/FPS hybrid, with good replayability. Story doesn't change, but different clans allow for extremely different styles of play, and some of them actually do open up side segments that are unavailable to others. For example, the rotten, decaying Nosferatu excel at stealth, and are actually penalized any time they are seen, while Brujah are all about all-out fighting. The Malkavian are the most interesting, since all the dialogue changes for them, and they have access to additional insight in conversations. Plus, they're just funny to read.
---