This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best use of $20 on Steam

#11xLexLuth0rxPosted 8/6/2013 12:30:51 PM
If you like FPS and an active multiplayer community, Team Fortress 2 is a no-brainer. And it's free...
---
"Trust me Clark, our friendship is gonna be the stuff of legend."
FC: 0860-3416-4781 // Lex in Smallvil // ACNL
#12NauticalDisasta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 12:34:15 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Yeah... I've managed to avoid the DOTA community and just played custom games with friends vs. bots. As far as gameplay, it really is a pretty entertaining game, with a huge variety of heroes to use, and elements of strategy and RPG, typical MOBA style. It's still worth looking at even if you never join the full community (which I think I wouldn't recommend).

Can't speak for the Call of Duty games - I've hated all of them since CoD2, as they've become more casual, generic rehash, and the communities in those games is quite immature too. You could look at UT3 Black - I'm sure you'd find people to play with, and the fact that it actually requires a bit of skill to play means there *should* be fewer issues with jerks, although with the Internet, you can't totally escape that anywhere. I believe there is also still some activity on UT2k4, since a lot of people prefer that one over UT3 still.

For strategy, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance is one of my favorites, although I dunno what online might be like. C&C 3 + Kane's Wrath just showed up not too long ago on Steam too, and it's actually not too bad.

If you enjoy RPGs, those aren't usually as multiplayer focused, but I'd absolutely say check out Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines if you haven't before. It's a great RPG/FPS hybrid, with good replayability. Story doesn't change, but different clans allow for extremely different styles of play, and some of them actually do open up side segments that are unavailable to others. For example, the rotten, decaying Nosferatu excel at stealth, and are actually penalized any time they are seen, while Brujah are all about all-out fighting. The Malkavian are the most interesting, since all the dialogue changes for them, and they have access to additional insight in conversations. Plus, they're just funny to read.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out Dota eventually, probably sticking to bots like you were saying. I've played and own most of the C&C games (great series) but I'll check Supreme Commander for sure. I remember looking at Vampire the Masquerade a few years ago and it didn't seem to appeal to me.
---
"Either it'll move me, or it'll move right though me. Fully. Completely." - Gordon Downie
360/Steam= NauticalDisasta
#13KillerTrufflePosted 8/6/2013 12:39:12 PM
Unless you're just totally not into vampires, VtM Bloodlines really is a great game. There's a community patch that fixes some bugs that were never officially patched, but with that, it's lots of fun. Not a perfect shooter, but nothing really wrong with it, and there's a whole lot of exploring to do, conversations, side quests... leveling up is rewarding - they made the character sheet VERY similar to the actual pen & paper sheet, so you have quite a lot of control over your character's stats, and every point added to every stat makes a tangible difference, unlike most CRPGs I've played. Overall, it's a very well done game, and I've come across very few people who have tried it and not liked it.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#14NauticalDisasta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 12:46:25 PM
xLexLuth0rx posted...
If you like FPS and an active multiplayer community, Team Fortress 2 is a no-brainer. And it's free...

I've got over 500 hours logged. Probably my favourite shooter.
---
"Either it'll move me, or it'll move right though me. Fully. Completely." - Gordon Downie
#15gastamanPosted 8/6/2013 12:52:43 PM
Darkness II is on sale for $7.50 (75% off) right now, if you're interested. Or you could get a 4-Pack for $22.50 and keep a copy, give me a copy, and trade/give away the other two copies... =)
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#16NauticalDisasta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 12:54:48 PM
gastaman posted...
Darkness II is on sale for $7.50 (75% off) right now, if you're interested. Or you could get a 4-Pack for $22.50 and keep a copy, give me a copy, and trade/give away the other two copies... =)

I played it on the PS3 already. Good game.
---
#17qeoijlijwPosted 8/6/2013 1:15:42 PM
cards
#18NauticalDisasta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 1:19:04 PM
qeoijlijw posted...
cards

wat?
---
#19AkubunakPosted 8/6/2013 9:50:25 PM
Not sure if this is even in a genre you're a fan of but I've been really into Rogue Legacy lately. its $15, has randomized room layouts, Rogue-Like elements to it, it can be pretty tough and it would probably last you awhile. Highly suggest you use a controller with it though, haven't tried KB controls myself but I've heard they're not so great
#20NauticalDisasta(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 10:06:16 PM
Akubunak posted...
Not sure if this is even in a genre you're a fan of but I've been really into Rogue Legacy lately. its $15, has randomized room layouts, Rogue-Like elements to it, it can be pretty tough and it would probably last you awhile. Highly suggest you use a controller with it though, haven't tried KB controls myself but I've heard they're not so great

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually already spent the $20 getting World in Conflict and Battlefront 2. Unfortunately World in Conflict is giving me an error any time I try to run it "Failed to start game (app already running)."
---