This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The future of RAM and memory - 1 TB, no sweat.

#1Mystical_NEETPosted 8/6/2013 12:51:25 PM
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/383479/resistive-ram-crams-1tb-onto-tiny-chip

Enjoy storing all your videos and music uncompressed from now on. Also for videogames, this means PC exclusives can be 100s of GBs in size - imagine a world the size of 100 Morrowinds, with uniquely generated NPCs that can live out years of their life in-game. Imagine animations with one mirrion frames. The best part is that putting these games on consoles will be IMPOSSIBLE, expecially the Pii U.
#2KingDFizzlePosted 8/6/2013 12:54:43 PM
Imagine the development cost and time of such a game. It'll cost $300 when it comes out a decade after being announced.
#3RPGMattPosted 8/6/2013 12:54:55 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4Orestes417Posted 8/6/2013 12:56:48 PM(edited)
Fun fact: Most "uncompressed" video isn't. Not even Blu-Rays are. You're looking at 742GB/h for 1080p at 60fps if you're using a camera that doesn't do on the fly compression as it captures and that's only at 10-bit color depth.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#5Darkcloud20Posted 8/6/2013 12:57:14 PM
Wow this technology seems to be so great that it even increases the average internet speed by 10 times and also allows the creation of huge unique worlds without a stupidly high amount of manhours for the development that would increase the costs of these games to the billions otherwise.

I'm sure it does because otherwise the stuff you suggested would still be impossible.
---
http://raptr.com/Darkcloud1987
#6Mystical_NEET(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 12:57:33 PM
KingDFizzle posted...
Imagine the development cost and time of such a game. It'll cost $300 when it comes out a decade after being announced.

Of course I was imagining they'd be procedurally generating the major stuff. Though with this they don't need 100s of GBs for a game install, just 100s of GBs of super RAM.
#7Ch3wyPosted 8/6/2013 12:58:06 PM
I think there are bottlenecks in areas other than memory.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#8Mystical_NEET(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 12:59:11 PM
Darkcloud20 posted...
Wow this technology seems to be so great that it even increases the average internet speed by 10 times and also allows the creation of huge unique worlds without a stupidly high amount of manhours for the development that would increase the costs of these games to the billions otherwise.

I'm sure it does because otherwise the stuff you suggested would still be impossible.

Hey, I'm willing to wait a day to download a 100 GB game if it's good and I have the space for it. Sorry if your ISP is crap and caps you to 5 GB per month.
#9daemon_danPosted 8/6/2013 12:59:49 PM
Mystical_NEET posted...
KingDFizzle posted...

Of course I was imagining they'd be procedurally generating the major stuff. Though with this they don't need 100s of GBs for a game install, just 100s of GBs of super RAM.

someone doesn't know how RAM works.
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#10matu90rkPosted 8/6/2013 1:02:20 PM
Well, if I told you about a game with a world as big as Skyrim's 20 years ago you would've imagined that it would've required tens of thousands of man hours and billions of dollars in production.
Along with hardware improvements we also have even better software every day, so in the future it will not be impossible to create a world 100 times bigger than Morrowind's.