This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The future of RAM and memory - 1 TB, no sweat.

#31SpacewhizguyPosted 8/6/2013 6:40:03 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Fun fact: Most "uncompressed" video isn't. Not even Blu-Rays are. You're looking at 742GB/h for 1080p at 60fps if you're using a camera that doesn't do on the fly compression as it captures and that's only at 10-bit color depth.

Half of what you said is incorrect. I don't know where you got the 742GB/hr figure since it should be at least 1TB/hr for that video quality. Perhaps from here?
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/detail/supportnotes/supportnote?sid=3947&pid=3989&snid=9555&isSDK=false&os=win
That figure is for 720p.

And you shouldn't say "only" at 10-bit. 10-bit is high end. Most things have an 8-bit color depth, including the webpage you're staring at right now.
---
What's a sig?
#32Gamerdog6482Posted 8/6/2013 6:43:26 PM
Ch3wy posted...
I think there are bottlenecks in areas other than memory.

^^This. Right now, I'm only using 1.2 gigs of RAM. When I'm playing Battlefield 3 and running a system scan AND downloading L4D2 all at once, I was only using 6.4.

I have eight gigs. I've never come close to using that much.
#33Gamerdog6482Posted 8/6/2013 6:44:22 PM
strongo9 posted...
Does anybody else want to see this technology used in a new variant to HDDs and SDD?

^^This as well. I'm ready for a zetabyte SSD, it's time
#34DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/6/2013 6:52:29 PM
This is nonvolatile memory. It's for longterm storage.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#35The_Mighty_QuinPosted 8/6/2013 7:55:50 PM
Hopefully games start taking advantage of this RAM on the PC platform. Sorry console fans but we win... AGAIN XD.
#36Orestes417Posted 8/7/2013 12:46:53 AM
Spacewhizguy posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Fun fact: Most "uncompressed" video isn't. Not even Blu-Rays are. You're looking at 742GB/h for 1080p at 60fps if you're using a camera that doesn't do on the fly compression as it captures and that's only at 10-bit color depth.

Half of what you said is incorrect. I don't know where you got the 742GB/hr figure since it should be at least 1TB/hr for that video quality. Perhaps from here?
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/detail/supportnotes/supportnote?sid=3947&pid=3989&snid=9555&isSDK=false&os=win
That figure is for 720p.

And you shouldn't say "only" at 10-bit. 10-bit is high end. Most things have an 8-bit color depth, including the webpage you're staring at right now.

No, actually I was going by quoted figures on Nikon documentation though double checking the math you're right it is 720p. Nikon interns, I am disappoint.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#37daemon_danPosted 8/7/2013 12:59:28 AM
SnipeStar posted...
daemon_dan posted...
matu90rk posted...
Well, if I told you about a game with a world as big as Skyrim's 20 years ago you would've imagined that it would've required tens of thousands of man hours and billions of dollars in production.
Along with hardware improvements we also have even better software every day, so in the future it will not be impossible to create a world 100 times bigger than Morrowind's.

Are we forgetting that Arena's world is larger than all of the other TES worlds combined?

i thought arena's map was all of the other ones combined

There are areas in Arena that haven't been featured in any of the other TES games yet.
---
"Nowhere is longer safe. The earth MOVES under our feet. The great world tree, Yggdrasil, trembles to it's roots."
#38SnipeStarPosted 8/7/2013 6:03:41 AM
daemon_dan posted...
SnipeStar posted...
daemon_dan posted...
matu90rk posted...
Well, if I told you about a game with a world as big as Skyrim's 20 years ago you would've imagined that it would've required tens of thousands of man hours and billions of dollars in production.
Along with hardware improvements we also have even better software every day, so in the future it will not be impossible to create a world 100 times bigger than Morrowind's.

Are we forgetting that Arena's world is larger than all of the other TES worlds combined?

There are areas in Arena that haven't been featured in any of the other TES games yet.

what im wondering, though, is how do the game maps of the other TES games scale to their place in Arena's map? for example is the size of skyrim's map in skyrim the same size that it is in arena's map? i feel like they wouldn't be scaled correctly.
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#39SinisterSlayPosted 8/7/2013 6:07:05 AM
SnipeStar posted...
daemon_dan posted...
SnipeStar posted...
daemon_dan posted...
matu90rk posted...

what im wondering, though, is how do the game maps of the other TES games scale to their place in Arena's map? for example is the size of skyrim's map in skyrim the same size that it is in arena's map? i feel like they wouldn't be scaled correctly.

Someone posted a link awhile back showing the map size differences, but I can't find it in my browsing history.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#40Ch3wyPosted 8/7/2013 6:26:41 AM
Was Arena's world bigger than Daggerfall?

Daggerfall was like 62 thousand square miles.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.