This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Torchlight II vs. Recettear

#11KillerTrufflePosted 8/6/2013 5:25:44 PM
wolverinerob79 posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
It's better suited to controller, with more precise movement and action controls than mouse style games.

Uh, wut? Controllers being more precise than a mouse? How bad is your mouse?

Wrong word I suppose. It controls more like a third-person action game, rather than "click here to move here, click that enemy to attack" sort of thing. I should have said something more along the lines of requires more rapid movements/changes of direction, etc. You manually dodge projectiles and enemy attacks, which is much more difficult with a mouse. In fact, without a gamepad, it uses keyboard/mouse, which still isn't quite as well suited, although it works well enough.

Try the Recettear demo and you'll see what I'm talking about. In fact, TC should try the demos for both games - I'm fairly sure Torchlight 2 has a demo, and if not, try the Torchlight demo. Gameplay mechanics are virtually identical - only the characters are different really.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#12Robman5000Posted 8/6/2013 5:49:11 PM
I own both games and I consistently go back to Recettear. I've completed the main storyline from scratch 3 times now, and the only problem I have with it is that it gets really boring once you do complete it. There just feels like there's no reason to continue on once you pay off your debt. There are other characters and dungeons to unlock after, but I've always gotten too burnt out to keep on with it.

I couldn't get into Torchlight II at all. I played for a little while and wasn't having fun. This was when it first came out and I'm actually going to give it another shot now and play around with some mods.

Recettear definitely gets my vote between the two, though. It can keep you occupied for hours.
---
Sorry if I came off kinda rude... You might have just experienced a sargasm...
Final Fantasy XI - Sobah - Server - Asura
#13arleasPosted 8/6/2013 5:55:09 PM
Torchlight 2 is fun online with friends, or maybe even leaving it open for random people to join (since you don't HAVE to play in the same area). Unfortunately after a while Torchlight 2 starts to seem like a pointless grind.

Recettear is a cutesy quirky game with that "Japanese Anime feel" to it (which if you're averse to such things, consider that your warning), and being an action RPG from the point of view of the person running the shops it's pretty unique...but like Robman said, once you've paid your debt off the whole driving force to keep going is pretty much gone, unless you REALLY like the dungeon crawling...

Of the two, I'd give Recettear the thumbs up for being more original, but Torchlight 2 online with friends and with mods could be more fun long term.

I really don't think they're comparable though.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/r5PgL.gif
#14The_Pig_Hostage(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 6:50:52 PM
I'm surprised at how many people prefer Recettear.
#15HydroCannabinolPosted 8/6/2013 7:00:29 PM
Recettear way better
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#16arleasPosted 8/6/2013 7:13:43 PM
I'm surprised at how many people prefer Recettear.

Recettear has a lot more "personality".
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://i.imgur.com/CMg5FdO.gif http://i.imgur.com/Zd0r1TN.gif
#17ThePHiLsTeRPosted 8/6/2013 7:14:51 PM
Both games are great and different. I don't get topics like these that put two great games versus each other. Both are cheap so get both.

If you this topic was TL2 VS diablo 3, then it would make more sense because they are in same genre.
---
i5-2500k, azrock z68 Gen3 Extreme 3, 8g ram, win7, crossfire sapphire 6850, 256gb Samsung 840, CM QuickFirePro Brown Switches, Korean IPS monitor, Playstation 3
#18kelemvorPosted 8/6/2013 7:16:57 PM(edited)
I *just* started playing Recettear. I like it, but I also liked playing Harvest Moon and Princess Maker way back in the day.

I also bought Torchlight 2 recently. I put maybe 5-10 hours in it with a buddy of mine on Steam, but It's hard to coordinate with him to play so I stopped. Fun game, just mindless action. Recettear is more of a single player, strategic experience. It's more of a "Thinking Man's" game. You have the random, loot filled, dungeon crawl part, but that's only maybe 1/3rd of the total game. It's more my speed to be honest.

The only thing I hate about Recettear is that it holds your hand WAY too much as far the tutorial goes. It doesn't have a separate tutorial it just gradually adds new mechanics to the game, and Tear is constantly talking to you and reminding you how to do things over and over at first, it gets annoying. I've only played it for a few days though, so I'm sure I'll overlook that small annoyance.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#19SteamsterPosted 8/6/2013 7:24:44 PM
TLII might be better, but I far prefer Recettear. It's a truly special game. TLII is basically just a text-book example of the genre.
#20JhayCeePosted 8/7/2013 12:01:04 AM
Recettear for me. I suggest trying out the demo first. I have played Torchlight II, but I found it to be boring. No, not because it's a bad game (it's much better than D2 and D3, imo), but I guess it's not my cup of tea anymore. At least in Recettear I can sell my cup of tea.
---
Religious Person: God loves us so much he gave us his only son.
Me: I know, man. I still can't believe Michael Jackson died.