This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Public Notice. Don't buy indies through steam/gog.

#1Binba442Posted 8/8/2013 11:14:22 AM(edited)
2 big indies, papers please and spelunky launched today. Try not to buy through steam. If you go through them, they take an estimated 20%+ from the dev from sales. Same with gog.
But, if you go through the devs site, or google [name] humble store, you can get it drm free AND a steam key. They only take around 5% of sale money, this is the same with many indies.

Not to mention non us customers get the dollar price. Which is often better!

EDIT. I'm not saying don't buy from steam/gog, I'm saying it's a better deal for consumers and devs if you buy through humble
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#2SleepComaPosted 8/8/2013 10:59:15 AM
I see then, I see.
---
i7-4770k @ 3.5GHz | Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 Ghz | Ripjaws 16gb | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Gigabyte Z87x |
Steam Viridis Emporos
#3Cool_Dude667Posted 8/8/2013 11:02:58 AM
Spelunky looks kinda meh, Papers please could be good though
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#4matu90rkPosted 8/8/2013 11:03:11 AM
I wouldn't have found out about Papers Please if it weren't for Steam. Not saying that getting the game from the dev's page is a bad thing, but Steam helps them publicize their games and reach a broader audience. 20% is a fair cut for the amount of exposure they provide, not to mention you're downloading the game from Steam servers.
#5SlashmanSGPosted 8/8/2013 11:04:34 AM
I'm not buying either of those games, but if I was I'd buy them on Steam.
---
Fight Science with Wood
http://gifs.gifbin.com/072010/1280303569_walmart-moonwalk.gif http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8299/0341551001256026444.gif
#6Lemur_HPosted 8/8/2013 11:09:14 AM(edited)
SlashmanSG posted...

This. One central application for downloading my "collection" of PC games? Win. Valve and GOG deserves a 20% cut. They have bills. They don't host this s*** for free.

I was actually expecting this to be a "broken games, steam and gog copies do not work" kind of topic.
#7KillerTrufflePosted 8/8/2013 11:11:16 AM
Why have I seen so many indie developers making statements that their income from sales on Steam dwarf income from any other source, like XBox Live? Yes, Steam takes a large cut, but they also make a LOT more sales, with the end result being much greater income in the long run.

The devs suffer no extra expense per copy of the game, so whether they sell 1 copy or 1 million, their production cost was the same. So it seems that giving people grief for buying on Steam is a bit illogical. Wouldn't the dev rather sell 500,000 copies on Steam at roughly $10 profit per copy ($5 million), rather than 10,000 copies through their website at $15 profit per copy ($150,000)?
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#8Binba442(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2013 11:11:58 AM
Lemur_H posted...
SlashmanSG posted...

This. One central application for downloading my "collection" of PC games? Win. Valve and GOG deserves a 20% cut. They have bills. They don't host this s*** for free.

I was actually expecting this to be a "broken games, steam and gog copies do not work" kind of topic.

Did you miss the bit about the steam key? You still get it in your library and, as far as I know, valve get some sort of money from those keys, in one way or another.
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#9Lemur_HPosted 8/8/2013 11:13:04 AM
Binba442 posted...
Lemur_H posted...
SlashmanSG posted...

Did you miss the bit about the steam key? You still get it in your library and, as far as I know, valve get some sort of money from those keys, in one way or another.

I suppose I did. Sorry about that.

Either way, already a member of Steam and payment info is saved. Convenience and my natural laziness is winning me over. :)
#10Tiberius1151Posted 8/8/2013 11:14:08 AM
Gotta spend money to make money folks. Steam is great, and I am sure a lot of indie games would not be so popular if not for steam. That's life.
---
"All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing." --Edmund Burke