This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Public Notice. Don't buy indies through steam/gog.

#11Binba442(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2013 12:18:06 PM
Lemur_H posted...
Binba442 posted...
Lemur_H posted...
SlashmanSG posted...
I'm not buying either of those games, but if I was I'd buy them on Steam.

This. One central application for downloading my "collection" of PC games? Win. Valve and GOG deserves a 20% cut. They have bills. They don't host this s*** for free.

I was actually expecting this to be a "broken games, steam and gog copies do not work" kind of topic.

Did you miss the bit about the steam key? You still get it in your library and, as far as I know, valve get some sort of money from those keys, in one way or another.

I suppose I did. Sorry about that.

Either way, already a member of Steam and payment info is saved. Convenience and my natural laziness is winning me over. :)

You can use bitcoin/paypal/amazon though ;)

Steam does give awesome publicity though. I'm not anti-steam.
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#12Lemur_HPosted 8/8/2013 12:20:18 PM
I didn't take you as an "anti-steam" kind of guy. Girl. Dog/Cat. Whatever you are.

If you were, you would be using the Steam DRM argument. :)
#13Binba442(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2013 12:22:08 PM
Lemur_H posted...
I didn't take you as an "anti-steam" kind of guy. Girl. Dog/Cat. Whatever you are.

If you were, you would be using the Steam DRM argument. :)

Anti-steam-drm arguments are never that strong. It adds more in continence than it takes away.
---
Pacman is a deadbeat uncle who embarrasses everyone involved while living off of his one single moment of glory he had back in the 80s -Tirkaro 2013
#14Captain_DrekPosted 8/8/2013 12:22:18 PM
Tiberius1151 posted...
Gotta spend money to make money folks. Steam is great, and I am sure a lot of indie games would not be so popular if not for steam. That's life.

Did you read the post?
If you buy from the devs, they make more money and you get the DRM copy with a Steam key.
It's better for both parties.
---
"There's always money in the banana stand."
3DS FC: 3738-0451-3244
#15r0ge00Posted 8/8/2013 12:22:47 PM
Binba442 posted...
You can use bitcoin/paypal/amazon though ;)

While those are quick, hitting a button on Steam is quicker. It's also added to my library automatically. No need to wait for a code or put it in. I know it's minimal work, but the point is, Steam is still easier.
#16Digital StormPosted 8/8/2013 12:23:46 PM
I don't think I've ever bought an "indie" game so 20% of nothing is still nothing.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#17SteamsterPosted 8/8/2013 12:25:51 PM
No reason not to go for the other methods if you'd prefer to give the dev a little more, but there's also no shame in giving Valve a cut if you like them and their service.
#18Rolen47Posted 8/8/2013 12:26:32 PM
Paper's Please is a lot of fun. For anyone that's interested in it you can download the Beta for free, it's essentially a demo:
http://www.dukope.com
#19Captain_DrekPosted 8/8/2013 12:26:45 PM
Digital Storm posted...
I don't think I've ever bought an "indie" game so 20% of nothing is still nothing.

Activision just recently bought themselves out of their main stock holders.
Call of Duty is officially an indie game.
---
"There's always money in the banana stand."
3DS FC: 3738-0451-3244
#20somebody336Posted 8/8/2013 12:28:30 PM
captindrek09 posted...
Digital Storm posted...

Activision just recently bought themselves out of their main stock holders.
Call of Duty is officially an indie game.

So epic XD