This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What does Steam do bad that you guys wish Steam would do better?

#41codyorrPosted 8/12/2013 4:00:44 AM
Mandatory updates. I'd like to not download a 7.5 GB patch for Left 4 Dead 2 after I install it.
#42ElementalWindPosted 8/12/2013 4:24:17 AM
Nope. You still have to launch the game at least once and put Steam into offline mode. Obviously not ideal for sudden loss of internet but ideal for everything else.
That sounds oddly like a "yes" _
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero
#43fallenswordsPosted 8/12/2013 4:29:41 AM
Zohar_Metatron posted...
I really wish they had tags instead of Categories. Let me mark a game as FPS, Beaten, Ubisoft or RPG, Spiderweb, Unstarted or whatever and go with all those.

It's minor, but I'd love to see some sort of way of broadcasting Greenlight picks to friends, as long as they have this dumb system. Make it something like a Recommend, or even just a profile showcase ("here's five games I want you jerks to upvote" or whatever).

thats already in it isnt it?

also: who really checks the social tab in steam?
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 8/28/2011 10:09:48 AM: http://bit.ly/jJ2ZNS
Katawa Shoujo changed my life. http://katawa-shoujo.com/
#44XjphPosted 8/12/2013 4:55:52 AM
The_Mighty_Quin posted...
No parental control options.

Recently I set up a gaming PC for my daughter. Unfortunately I have already had to block her Steam access because she revealed she was a girl to one of her group chat friends... she's been getting some weird comments both from pervert guys who want to see her and haters calling her an "attention whore" and other misogynistic things. Very disappointing to me!

Even if there were parental control options, the only thing it would be able to do it block access to certain categories of games or discussion groups. They will not and cannot do anything for what happens in chats or who is on a person's friends list. Any online game, even ones rated "E", will warn you "Game Experience May Change During Online Play." As soon as you start interacting with people ratings and controls mean nothing.

This is like going to a supermarket and blaming the store owners because other customers are rude to you.
---
"Much as a spiders web, it began with a single thread." - Cilym
My Library - http://xjph.net/images/Library.jpg
#45nameless0101Posted 8/12/2013 4:59:53 AM
The Categories system needs overhauling, I hate the fact you have to categorize each game one by one and cant just rename the categories after.

An option so that uninstalling the client doesn't also uninstall all your Steam games, made that mistake once and it took me forever to download my 200+ Steam games again.

The ability to lend games to people would be quite nice but I don't think its a glaring omission.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag DeludedFool
PSN Name also DeludedFool
#46XjphPosted 8/12/2013 5:00:07 AM
ElementalWind posted...
Nope. You still have to launch the game at least once and put Steam into offline mode. Obviously not ideal for sudden loss of internet but ideal for everything else.
That sounds oddly like a "yes" _

While I've never had a problem with offline mode I know someone who has. It's still kind of touchy.

I can have an unexpected outage, or just go somewhere with no internet on my laptop, and it will prompt to switch to offline mode on startup with no preparation in advance on my part.
He, on the other hand, will lose internet and then have steam tell him that he has no saved credentials, even though he does, and hasn't had to type in his password for steam in months.
---
"Much as a spiders web, it began with a single thread." - Cilym
My Library - http://xjph.net/images/Library.jpg
#47flyboy300Posted 8/12/2013 5:53:16 AM
-Category system (Horrible)
-Steam browser slow and often laggy
---
Now playing: Starcraft 2 and TF2
#48RoniellioPosted 8/12/2013 6:07:19 AM
Its connection. For the past week Steam has not gone into online mode at all. Yet it can update.... I know its not my firewall because I have checked it and Steam.exe was already on the ignore list.
---
i5-2500K @ 3.3GHz | EVGA GTX 560 Ti DS | 1TB + 2TB HDD | 8GB DDR3 | 600w | 1920x1080