This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are these guys scam artists or just dumb?

#11ThePCElitistPosted 8/11/2013 6:59:37 PM
Eh seems pretty shady but I might throw $25 and see what happens. Who knows. Maybe if it turns out to be legit I"ll get a 256 GB usb memory stick.
---
i5-2500k Hyper212+ @ 4.6Ghz, ASRock z77 extreme4, x2 Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16 GB DDR3 RipJaws X, SLI GTX 680 Lightning, AX850, Antec 1200 v3
#12GarquillPosted 8/11/2013 7:13:38 PM
Devil_wings00 posted...
BMXJouster posted...
Devil_wings00 posted...
Indiegogo isn't like kickstarter. If I'm not mistaken Indiegogo won't hand over the money unless they meet the goal (which they are not going to do) so anyone donating money will never get those perks and they will just get their money back, unless in the next 20 days they somehow get 495,000 dollars more.

This isn't a scam it's just a facepalm worthy idea.

Actually I believe it's the opposite.

I think Kickstarter is the one that won't give the money unless it reaches its goal, and Indiegogo will regardless of whether it reached it or not.

ahhh maybe I got that mixed up in which case don't bother wasting money on these idiots. Seriously go check out the linustechtips stream from the other night. They spend at least 10-20 minutes talking about this and making fun of it. As system builders themselves they laugh their a**es off at it.

you guys should probably read the page

there's different types of funding options
the page says this one is using Fixed Funding

This campaign will only receive funds if at least $500,000 is raised by its deadline. Funding duration: July 30, 2013 - August 31, 2013 (11:59pm PT).
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#13Davel23Posted 8/11/2013 8:23:25 PM
They're claiming they can send you a machine for $1,000, the CPU of which alone retails for more than $1,000? Bulk discounts are one thing, but that's ridiculous.
---
Your mom's box.
#14Fade2black001Posted 8/11/2013 8:27:20 PM
Those guys will be loosing so much money... That CPU alone is like 1200 bucks
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#15Hi CPosted 8/11/2013 8:34:02 PM
I scanned just a little bit but essentially they want to crowd source their initial bulk purchase then give everyone back a PC for cheap...then they take the rest of their stock and resale on ebay or something for big bucks.

yep scumbags.
---
You'll be my John G.
#16ConkerPosted 8/11/2013 8:54:16 PM
Hi C posted...
I scanned just a little bit but essentially they want to crowd source their initial bulk purchase then give everyone back a PC for cheap...then they take the rest of their stock and resale on ebay or something for big bucks.

yep scumbags.

How does that make them scumbags? You realize that is exactly what every for-profit company does? Not saying they aren't also scumbags, but I'm just curious why you feel that makes them so.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#17Hi CPosted 8/11/2013 9:09:01 PM
Conker posted...
Hi C posted...

yep scumbags.

How does that make them scumbags? You realize that is exactly what every for-profit company does? Not saying they aren't also scumbags, but I'm just curious why you feel that makes them so.

Normal businesses buy their own stock, or get investors who expect to make a return of their own based on how well the venture goes. They don't have to pay back a %.

This isn't technically crowd sourcing in the typical sense since people aren't funding the development of a product.

This is technically purchasing an auction from someone who doesn't actually own the products they are selling.
---
You'll be my John G.
#18my_name_is_EdPosted 8/11/2013 9:21:09 PM
Devil_wings00 posted...
BMXJouster posted...
Devil_wings00 posted...
Indiegogo isn't like kickstarter. If I'm not mistaken Indiegogo won't hand over the money unless they meet the goal (which they are not going to do) so anyone donating money will never get those perks and they will just get their money back, unless in the next 20 days they somehow get 495,000 dollars more.

I think Kickstarter is the one that won't give the money unless it reaches its goal, and Indiegogo will regardless of whether it reached it or not.

ahhh maybe I got that mixed up in which case don't bother wasting money on these idiots. Seriously go check out the linustechtips stream from the other night. They spend at least 10-20 minutes talking about this and making fun of it. As system builders themselves they laugh their a**es off at it.

link please
---
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png
#19_Marka_Ragnos_(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2013 9:25:43 PM
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Devil_wings00 posted...
BMXJouster posted...
Devil_wings00 posted...

link please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFRucXDxS0
33 minutes in
---
i5 4670k| 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3| EVGA GTX 780|Alienware m17x
"You can't not pool as Zerg" - FatBlackCat
#20my_name_is_EdPosted 8/11/2013 9:33:57 PM
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
my_name_is_Ed posted...
Devil_wings00 posted...
BMXJouster posted...
Devil_wings00 posted...

link please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFRucXDxS0
33 minutes in

tyty, i like his videos
---
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png