This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

external hard drive not recognized?

#1mark_98Posted 8/15/2013 9:39:16 AM
I know this can be found on google, but i looked and dont understand anything because im computer illeterate. I have a hard drive on my friends desktop and want to transfer files onto it to take home.

i plug it in, and it says installing driver software or w.e., but then nothing pops up. the option to safely remove it is there, but it doesnt come up in my computer.

help?
---
it has been porevn taht as lnog as the frist and lsat ltetres are crorcet, yuor barin has the pwoer to rcegnoize the wrods. Eagles, Raptors, Leafs
#2mark_98(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2013 9:41:11 AM
i think it may be because the hard drive was borrowed from a Mac user. The computer im using has Windows

could this be it?
---
it has been porevn taht as lnog as the frist and lsat ltetres are crorcet, yuor barin has the pwoer to rcegnoize the wrods. Eagles, Raptors, Leafs
#3pothocketPosted 8/15/2013 9:43:23 AM
-_-
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#4fataliPosted 8/15/2013 9:44:55 AM(edited)
Could be a number of things:

The USB port is dirty, and is making a bad contact, making windows unable to recognize the device.

The power that port is providing is not enough to run the hard drive.

Your disc is not in the right format.

The disc is broken.

Windows screw up with the drivers, this one happens a lot. You need to go to device manager and uninstall the drive, then when you plug it again it will re-recognize the device.
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#5TivorPosted 8/15/2013 9:47:08 AM
mark_98 posted...
i think it may be because the hard drive was borrowed from a Mac user. The computer im using has Windows

could this be it?

That is most definitely it. Two very different file systems. Windows has no built-in ways to read/write to Mac-formatted drives.
---
Vin Scully, Herge, Ray K. Metzker, Arakawa Hiromu, Mori Kaoru, Steve Jobs, Miyazaki Hayao, Walt Disney, Depeche Mode, John Stockton. RESPECT.
#6mark_98(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2013 9:49:17 AM
Tivor posted...
mark_98 posted...

could this be it?

That is most definitely it. Two very different file systems. Windows has no built-in ways to read/write to Mac-formatted drives.

if i was to format it to Windows, would it would delete all the files?
---
#7fataliPosted 8/15/2013 9:50:08 AM
YES
---
Mystery is the source of all true science.
#8TivorPosted 8/15/2013 9:51:18 AM
mark_98 posted...
Tivor posted...
mark_98 posted...

could this be it?

if i was to format it to Windows, would it would delete all the files?

Yes, it would delete EVERYTHING.
---
Vin Scully, Herge, Ray K. Metzker, Arakawa Hiromu, Mori Kaoru, Steve Jobs, Miyazaki Hayao, Walt Disney, Depeche Mode, John Stockton. RESPECT.
#9mark_98(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2013 9:56:56 AM
well that sucks. thanks for the help guys. ill find another hard drive
---