This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommend me the "Best" Indie game in your opinion. To help get me into indies.

#31MagnemightPosted 8/18/2013 4:03:32 AM
Cave Story and Spelunky have free versions that are pretty much full games. They also have NES graphics rather than Super Nintendo graphics, if that does anything for you.

If you want to get far, far away from those sorts of graphics, I'm gonna have to go along with snesmaster (hoho) and recommend Don't Starve. It looks like a pretentious artsy title, but it really isn't.
---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against a Shy Guy onslaught!
Download the demo (offsite topic): http://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14596
#32MT_TRAEHPosted 8/18/2013 4:25:21 AM
Limbo
---
Misha > Hanako > Rin > Lilly > Shizune > Emi
#33SienrurouniPosted 8/18/2013 5:40:15 AM
As others have said: Mount and Blade: Warband, Bastion, and Mark of the Ninja are in my opinion the three best indie games ever.

I also agree with the rogue-like recommendations, but most of those are more snes style graphics.
---
"You may not believe this, but I was once a remarkable man,"
-Denny Crane
#34arleasPosted 8/18/2013 6:22:28 AM
That said you shouldn't limit yourself to not playing those 2D or retro style graphic games as some of them are the best.

Complaining too much about retro graphics makes people look like the "graphics whore" type... that is, they don't really care about substance as long as it's flashy, realistic and they can show it off to their friends to show how powerful their rig is.

The only time I'd complain about graphics is if they actively hurt the game in question.. example: a serious game with super cartoony graphics (it'd be hard to take it seriously). Another example would be when the game's graphics are so poor that you can't tell what's going on. If the enemy is hiding from me that's fine, but if the enemy is hidden in plain sight because he blends into the background...

A good example is the original Grand Theft Auto... when the character gets out of a car, you can barely tell which way he's facing (until you press the button to move forward and you can SEE which way he moves). That caused me a lot of trouble.

I'm talking about unique games like Don't Starve, Rogue Legacy, Papers Please, Space Pirates and Zombies, FTL, and so on.

I've bolded the ones I've played. I have S.P.A.Z. but I've yet to play it.

Rogue Legacy is a fun platformer/Roguelike, Papers Please is an interesting game, but I don't know if I'd recommend it to someone who is on the fence about Indies (unless he expressed a preference for games that make you think). FTL is a roguelike, so again, if TC doesn't like the roguelike genre, he should probably avoid FTL too...

Don't Starve is a great game, but again, I don't know if I'd make it a suggestion for someone who doesn't know if he is going to like indie games or not.

Probably the best suggestion is Minecraft, except that TC will probably say it sucks based on the blocky graphics alone...But minecraft doesn't have any hard coded objectives so TC would have to be willing to learn a lot from a wiki about what to do...

Some other suggestions
Beat Hazard is a decent indie shooter that uses your music to generate the levels.*
Recettear is a great Action/RPG game from the point of view of a shopkeeper. *
Rock of Ages is an interesting game where you take turns rolling giant boulders across a field to break down the enemy fortress door.
Zombie Driver HD is a game about driving a car around town to rescue people while using weapons (built into the car) to destroy zombies
Defense Grid: The Awakening is a tower defense game with some good voice acting and a decent difficulty curve
Dungeon Defenders is kind of a first/3rd person Tower defense game with characters that can attack enemies directly.
Prison Architect is a game where you have to build your own prison to house prisoners... it's still in alpha though. *
Kerbal Space Program is an absolutely fabulous game where you try to build rockets to get your astronauts to the moon and beyond. It gives you an idea of how tough it really was to get the Apollo astronauts to the moon and back. (also in Alpha).

The Asterisk is to let TC know that sorry to say, it doesn't have Super-Duper graphics and it's not going to stress test his rig. (Sorry!) But it's still a great game and deserves to be given a chance regardless.

Or ignore them all and don't play indie games. It doesn't make a difference to me either way.
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#35ghostly12Posted 8/18/2013 6:28:25 AM
Isn't Primal Carnage actually an indie game? It has extremely good graphics and it's actually a really fun game. When I saw the title my first thought was Faster than Light, but I guess the graphics are pretty bad
---
i7 3770 || HAF X Blue ||Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS|| 16GB G-Skill DDR3-1866 || Vapor-X 7970 Ghz || 840 Pro 126GB || Corsair H100i || WD Black 1TB || SeaSonic 750W
#36TheLoneDigitPosted 8/18/2013 8:00:12 AM
World Of Goo. I don't play a lo of puzzle games, but that one is instantly addicting to anyone I've introduced it to.
#37smackdownvPosted 8/18/2013 8:29:52 AM
Bastion
---
Not changing this signature till Petey Piranha is back in Mario Kart started May 14th 2008
#38Treason686Posted 8/18/2013 9:03:29 AM
Great indie titles:
Faster Than Light
Bastion
Rogue Legacy
Mount and Blade
Dungeons of Dredmor
Cave Story
Minecraft
Legend of Grimrock
Shank
Zeno Clash

...there are definitely others I can't think of at the moment. The best on the list are Mount and Blade, Zeno Clash, Minecraft, Grimrock, Faster than Light, and Dredmor. I've sunk tons of time into all those games. I still haven't beat Dredmor... Guess I need to work on that.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#39KURRUPTORPosted 8/18/2013 10:32:57 AM
Castle crashers is my favorite...and it's one of the very few games to offer local Co OP which is pretty awesome IMO
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#40biohazard1775Posted 8/18/2013 10:35:08 AM
No Lone Survivor yet?
---
http://i.imgur.com/nrx65Pw.jpg
We should take away their metal boxes!