This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommend me the "Best" Indie game in your opinion. To help get me into indies.

#41DiviDudePosted 8/18/2013 11:42:33 AM
Asks for non-retro graphics.
Gets tons of retro-graphics suggestions.
Is eventually told that he should actually want and like retro-graphics.

Sigh. Seriously people, it can't possibly be that difficult to withhold and repress your own preferences for one tiny internet thread.

Anyway,

Bastion
EYE: Divine Cybermancy (warning: very high learning curve)
Mark of the Ninja
Miasmata
The Void (also very high learning curve)
World of Goo
Zeno Clash
#42jakisthePosted 8/18/2013 11:54:16 AM
Mark of the Ninja
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#43Maiken100Posted 8/18/2013 12:03:24 PM
Ningishzida posted...
Maiken100 posted...
"Legend of Grimrock" - Excellent game

lol

Hilarious retort. Nothing constructive to add I see.
#44nedrithPosted 8/18/2013 12:09:50 PM(edited)
Dungeon Defenders: probably one of the best Tower defense/RPG hybrids. 5+ difficulty levels and challenges ranging from OMG this is almost impossbible to is it possible to lose this level? The developers were pretty active with patches including adding a new difficulty level some new areas ect.

AI Wars: Fleet Command, probably one of the best Strategy games in existence if you like long term games with lots of decisions to be made with a very well made AI. Tons of options to choose what's difficulty about it and also how difficult the AI is. It's also Coop so you could play with up to 8 people.

Mount and blade: Warband. Action/Strategy/RPG hybrid. Really well made game with a lot of fun battles. Full mod support with a few good notable mods to make a entirely new map out of.

I would say any of these games would give you a good 40-50+ hours. Though really if you play all the mods of mount and blade or try to get the best armor and do everything on the highest difficulty setting of DD or try to get really good at AI wars and beat 2 difficulty 10 AIs these games can easily be in the 100s of hours.
#45Treason686Posted 8/18/2013 8:15:18 PM
DiviDude posted...
Asks for non-retro graphics.

Sigh. Seriously people, it can't possibly be that difficult to withhold and repress your own preferences for one tiny internet thread.

Anyway,

Bastion
EYE: Divine Cybermancy (warning: very high learning curve)
Mark of the Ninja
Miasmata
The Void (also very high learning curve)
World of Goo
Zeno Clash

One could argue WoG and MotN are retro graphics.

It's a tough topic. The best indie games don't have excellent graphics.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#46ghj1Posted 8/18/2013 8:16:38 PM
Someone already threw out Bastion, so I'm definitely gonna second that... and I'd also say something like Limbo or BRAID, both of those were pretty fantastic if you're into platformers
---
http://steamcard.com/do/nxe/iggysmartbomb.png
i5 2400 l Asus ENGTX 460 l HAF 912 l Gigabyte Z68 l 8GB G.SKILL RAM l 520w Antec HCG l SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB
#47AzezoPosted 8/19/2013 8:52:24 AM
I would recommend Sanctum/Sanctum 2/ Super Sanctum TD (Tower Defense)

they are Tower defense FPS Drop in drop out 4 player

Entirely PVE not PVP.

Big differences between 1 and 2.
SSTD, is with skills and no FPS.
---
Why did you bother to read this?
#48DiviDudePosted 8/19/2013 9:06:23 AM
Treason686 posted...
One could argue WoG and MotN are retro graphics.

It's a tough topic. The best indie games don't have excellent graphics.

I disagree; World of Goo and Mark of the Ninja are 2D, sure, but they look far better than anything you'll ever find on SNES or PS1. They're comparable to, say, Odin Sphere for PS2, a game from 2007-2008 or so. Something like Hotline Miami or The Binding of Isaac however is unambiguously retro. And there are at least some top indie games with pretty good 3D graphics - The Void and EYE Divine Cybermancy, for instance.
#49arleasPosted 8/19/2013 9:08:17 AM

Most indie games tend to be low budget, and low budget games tend to be "retro" graphics...If graphics is that important to TC, he should give up on Indie games because even the ones people have suggested that aren't "retro" aren't that great graphically...

TC also asked for a game he could spend a lot of time on... what did you suggest?

Bastion... yeah, that's good for about 8-10 hours. Is that a lot of time for you?

Mark of the Ninja is what.. 20 hours if you are really thorough?

In fact I don't think that many of the games you listed satisfied that requirement of TC's original post.

it can't possibly be that difficult to withhold and repress your own preferences for one tiny internet thread.

Right back at ya....
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png
#50DiviDudePosted 8/19/2013 9:24:24 AM
arleas posted...
Most indie games tend to be low budget, and low budget games tend to be "retro" graphics...If graphics is that important to TC, he should give up on Indie games because even the ones people have suggested that aren't "retro" aren't that great graphically...

The guy didn't ask for "great" graphics, he asked for "non-retro." There is a difference. MoTN isn't "great," but it is unambiguously non-retro. Whereas something like Hotline Miami is unambiguously retro. That's why MoTN is a relevant suggestion and Hotline Miami is not.

Bastion... yeah, that's good for about 8-10 hours. Is that a lot of time for you?

Double that time if you're a completionist and yeah, my hunch tells me that's above average. Same with MoTN. (Although I would be interested to see some actually statistics of how long the average game is, maybe based on year. HLTB doesn't appear to have that info unfortunately. And 20 hours is a lot of time for me!) And once again, Hotline Miami, even if played completionist, is going to take you maybe half the time that MoTN or Bastion do.

I stand by everything I've said in this thread thus far (except Zeno Clash - I didn't realize the game was that short!)