This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Recommend me the "Best" Indie game in your opinion. To help get me into indies.

#51MarceloSampaioPosted 8/19/2013 8:28:30 AM
wizardmon posted...
Maiken100 posted...
"Legend of Grimrock" - Excellent game and great puzzles.

Greatest squaredance puzzle game created.

It ruined the gameplay by being in realtime.

They wanted to make a game similar to Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore. In this aspect, they succeeded.
---
:3
If you accept Gaben as your true lard and savior, put this on your sig. :)
#52arfarf624Posted 8/19/2013 8:33:36 AM
ftl
---
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#53CaptainMetManPosted 8/19/2013 9:58:30 AM
Kerbal Space Program and FTL. That is all.
#54wert87658Posted 8/19/2013 10:02:40 AM
Spelunky, FTL and just try The Binding of Isaac.
#55arleasPosted 8/19/2013 10:32:06 AM
Double that time if you're a completionist and yeah, my hunch tells me that's above average. Same with MoTN. (Although I would be interested to see some actually statistics of how long the average game is, maybe based on year. HLTB doesn't appear to have that info unfortunately. And 20 hours is a lot of time for me!) And once again, Hotline Miami, even if played completionist, is going to take you maybe half the time that MoTN or Bastion do.

I stand by everything I've said in this thread thus far (except Zeno Clash - I didn't realize the game was that short!)

The point is that there really aren't many games that fit all of the characteristics that TC wants.

TC wants a game that he can spend a lot of time in... I don't count a game you can breeze through in one day as "a long time", and I generally don't consider completionist crap to count either (unless TC proclaimed himself a completionist)

So he doesn't want a simple game, and you suggested World of Goo... You're basically stringing together "goo" to make a bridge for other goo balls to cross over.

MotN and Bastion are both pretty short.... Of course Hotline Miami wouldn't fit here either.

I found Terraria and Minecraft to fill every requirement TC had BUT the graphics.... Addictive is way too subjective a term to be able to pinpoint, but to me, Terraria and Minecraft were both worth spending 100+ hours in...

The main thing is, so what if people suggest a game that isn't 100% perfect in line with the TC's requirements? I've only been "nit picking" on your suggestions to show that it's going to be very hard to come up with the perfect suggestion. I'd say the closest one to perfect suggested so far is Kerbal Space Program, except that it's an early release game and so sandbox mode is the only thing you can do with it at the moment...it's also probably not for everyone.
---
http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/19/193056.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309944238.png
#56DiviDudePosted 8/19/2013 11:14:38 AM
arleas posted...
The main thing is, so what if people suggest a game that isn't 100% perfect in line with the TC's requirements?

Well my operating assumption is that OP gave those requirements for a reason - because they're, well, required. If the game doesn't fit the requirements, then the conclusion must be that the OP will not actually be interested in that game and so mentioning it is kinda pointless.

Now your 100% point is certainly valid - there's some ambiguity in OP's requirements. "A lot of time" is relative - some people complain that 30 hours isn't enough, some complain it's too much. He should have been more specific on what meant by that. Addictive is likewise quite subjective, maybe even meaningless: I've never enjoyed a game that I didn't find "addictive" to some degree and hence every game I'd ever bother recommending would automatically qualify there. But I'd still argue that the non-retro-graphics requirement is pretty straight forward and unambiguous and is clearly and straight-up violated by suggestions like Binding of Isaac or Hotline Miami.

tl;dr - the requirements were given because they're required (how's that for a tautology), some of them are ambiguous but some are not, and the least ambiguous requirement was violated rather carelessly, and I find that annoying. In otherwords, I interpreted the list as a bunch of ANDs, where people are instead seeing as OR and thus providing a lot of noise.
#57dioxxysPosted 8/23/2013 11:50:14 PM
whens TC gunna post? btw all great games
#58TimePharaohPosted 8/24/2013 1:02:18 AM
DiviDude posted...
Asks for non-retro graphics.
Gets tons of retro-graphics suggestions.
Is eventually told that he should actually want and like retro-graphics.

Sigh. Seriously people, it can't possibly be that difficult to withhold and repress your own preferences for one tiny internet thread.

Anyway,

Bastion
EYE: Divine Cybermancy (warning: very high learning curve)
Mark of the Ninja
Miasmata
The Void (also very high learning curve)
World of Goo
Zeno Clash

Says he wants the best, gets recommended a bunch of garbage in one post.

Sigh. Seriously guy, it can't possibly be ethat difficult to withhold and repress your own terrible preferences for one tiny internet thread.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png