This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

32-bit and VRAM

#1AntshPosted 8/15/2013 2:58:19 PM
Is a 32bit arch limited in its utilization of VRAM the same way it is with sys memory?
---
ASUS P8Z77-V | i5-3570K | Corsair Vengeance 16GB, 1600 | HD 7970, 6GB | CoolerMaster Storm Stryker
#2wizardmonPosted 8/15/2013 3:00:14 PM
Yes, and they stack together.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#3Antsh(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 4:09:08 AM
wizardmon posted...

Damn it, Skyrim. No wonder it runs for crap when uses a ton of texture replacers. My 16gb mem and 6gb VRAM is pointless with that game.

Im going to go and finish Witcher 2.

Also, just to clarify, when you say 'stacked' you mean that if an application is using 3GB RAM the GPU would only have 1GB to work with (assuming that memory flag is there, thus allowing access to 4GB.

Going beyond my IT security background, wouldn't a 32-bit application be able break down bits into 32-bit sizes? Similar to how 16-bit worked (not even sure this makes sense... been a long time since I had to worry about things like this)
---
ASUS P8Z77-V | i5-3570K | Corsair Vengeance 16GB, 1600 | HD 7970, 6GB | CoolerMaster Storm Stryker
#4Davel23Posted 8/16/2013 5:00:12 AM(edited)
Antsh posted...
wizardmon posted...

Damn it, Skyrim. No wonder it runs for crap when uses a ton of texture replacers. My 16gb mem and 6gb VRAM is pointless with that game.

Also, just to clarify, when you say 'stacked' you mean that if an application is using 3GB RAM the GPU would only have 1GB to work with (assuming that memory flag is there, thus allowing access to 4GB.

Going beyond my IT security background, wouldn't a 32-bit application be able break down bits into 32-bit sizes? Similar to how 16-bit worked (not even sure this makes sense... been a long time since I had to worry about things like this)

It doesn't.

Regardless, why would you ever install a 32-bit OS on a machine with 16 GB of RAM?

---
Your mom's box.
#5LordSeiferPosted 8/16/2013 5:13:02 AM
yeah that wouldnt mean your ram is going to waste in skyrim, it would be going to waste in everything
---
^ this
#6ivanwind15Posted 8/16/2013 5:19:27 AM
Your Windows key is also good for 64 bit Windows. Just upgrade.
---
My gaming Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ramblingtoad
#7brainlackPosted 8/16/2013 6:39:29 AM
Antsh posted...
wizardmon posted...

upgrade to 64 bit
and its okay technology was progressing fast and slowed down from 2006 - ????
---
playing re6 with 8x sparse grid ss with 32xs(2x2 ss + 8 ms)+ mixed sample x128 + 32 forced anisotropic then I hear ps4 is powerful than my pc
#8Antsh(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 9:37:18 AM
brainlack posted...
Antsh posted...
wizardmon posted...

upgrade to 64 bit
and its okay technology was progressing fast and slowed down from 2006 - ????

Was speaking about 32-bit applications. I am running Windows x64
---
#9Orestes417Posted 8/16/2013 9:43:12 AM
Applications have a limit per process of 4GB, but that's not nearly as big a deal as the shared memory pool on a native 32-bit system,
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#10romsnbombsPosted 8/16/2013 9:46:11 AM(edited)
With 32 bit game, the more VRAM you have, the less important board memory becomes.

I think maybe 2GB of board RAM and 2GB of VRAM, or 1GB of board RAM and 3GB of VRAM, so on and so forth..

But I often wondered if resolution and AA related VRAM footprint don't reside inside the games .exe?