This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much of an upgrade do I get if I switch processors?

#1PurificationPosted 8/15/2013 3:05:21 PM
As the title suggests, I'm still using a Core 2 Duo e6750 from several years ago. It's been doing fine but I'm planning to switch graphic cards soon (I'm still using a 8800GT). I'm a pretty hardcore PC gamer but these older parts have still served me fine (still able to run most current games on medium) but I've finally decided to switch.

How much of an upgrade would I get going from a e6750 to an i7 860? I know someone who's selling me an i7 860 for around $130 used, does that sound like a decent deal?

Also, the graphic card I'm planning to switch to is either a GTX 570 or a GTX 660. How would one of those graphic cards run together with the new processor? Would there be any bottlenecks on either end?
---
The Judge, Jury, and Executioner
#2BogePosted 8/15/2013 3:08:42 PM
Not for $130, no way.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#3Black_King945Posted 8/15/2013 3:09:35 PM
You will definitely see better performance on a quad core or higher chip in CPU intensive games like Civ or Skyrim, though in my opinion it's never worth it to buy used PC parts.

A new i5 is about 70 dollars more than the used i7, it will be just as good if not better for gaming, you are losing 4 cores that wouldn't be used in the first place and gaining clock speed, which is far more useful.

If I were you I would just save up a paycheck, buy a new board, memory and an i5, get my 660 and let 'er rip in the glory of current gen.
---
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W
#4Devil_wings00Posted 8/15/2013 3:19:41 PM
Black_King945 posted...
You will definitely see better performance on a quad core or higher chip in CPU intensive games like Civ or Skyrim, though in my opinion it's never worth it to buy used PC parts.

A new i5 is about 70 dollars more than the used i7, it will be just as good if not better for gaming, you are losing 4 cores that wouldn't be used in the first place and gaining clock speed, which is far more useful.

If I were you I would just save up a paycheck, buy a new board, memory and an i5, get my 660 and let 'er rip in the glory of current gen.

Also a newer chip on an a modern up to date architecture. Clock speed doesn't mean much really. A newer architecture is going to be faster clock for clock then an older chip.

Don't buy used parts unless they are only about a generation old. If your going to upgrade go all the way. Tech always has the possibility of failure and having a warranty is pretty important.
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).
#5Purification(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2013 4:42:57 PM
What about:

i7 860 CPU
LGA1156 Intel DQ57TML Motherboard
4GB DDR3 RAM

for $180?
---
#6godplaysSNESPosted 8/15/2013 4:52:42 PM
Looking at newegg, what it would cost to get a haswell CPU and motherboard, I'd say your price isn't bad

A slight negative with the motherboard you listed is that it only has one PCI-E x16 slot. Don't know if intel motherboards allow overclocking either.

Also, would you pay in USD, or are you simply converting your local currency into USD?
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#7Purification(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2013 4:56:11 PM(edited)
godplaysSNES posted...
Looking at newegg, what it would cost to get a haswell CPU and motherboard, I'd say your price isn't bad

A slight negative with the motherboard you listed is that it only has one PCI-E x16 slot. Don't know if intel motherboards allow overclocking either.

Also, would you pay in USD, or are you simply converting your local currency into USD?

The amount I quoted is in Canadian.

Also, I've been out of the computer scene for several years since building my last PC so I've forgotten everything.

What is a PCI-E x 16 slot for?
---
#8PhilOnDezPosted 8/15/2013 5:25:49 PM(edited)
PCIe x16 is typically used for your gpu in a gaming rig. There's other things that could go there but probably not anything you need. X16 is faster than x8 but that won't matter if you're only running one gpu. Even if you only had x8 though you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

As for that deal, I'd only grab it if you're hurting for cash. If not, I'd just go all the way and grab a Haswell i5 (4570 or higher) and an h87/z87 mobo.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#9TheWayOfTheGunPosted 8/15/2013 5:34:55 PM
The i7 860 and GTX 660 will go perfectly together but of you are such a hardcore PC gamer like you claim, why not save up and buy something like an i5-3350P ($180) and a GTX 760 ($250). This is midrange hardware that will let you play most games on high settings.

Hardcore gamers work those extra hours so they can buy decent hardware. Put those hours in son!
#10PhilOnDezPosted 8/15/2013 5:44:34 PM
A 4570 would be better than a 3350 for the same price and only a few dollars more at most for the mobo.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez