This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's a good Free 2 Play MOBA to start with?

#1Justice98405Posted 8/15/2013 7:56:12 PM
I like trying out and having games from almost all genres, and I got and tried League of Legends, and even against the opening bots for training or whatever, it was really tough and more involving than I kinda wanted.

That being said, I'm still interested in the genre. Should I just go back to League and give it another chance? And if so, any good starter tips?

And any other good Free 2 Play MOBA's aside from League of Legends to give a try and why?

Thanks in advance for any help and ideas everyone.
---
To the mattresses.
3DS code: 2621-3902-1737, PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#2PyrotechnixxxPosted 8/15/2013 7:58:58 PM
I have greatly enjoyed Smite.
---
Fear is a leash.
#3DerPancakePosted 8/15/2013 8:02:33 PM
If you have Starcraft 2 go and try Aeon of Storms much better than LoL and Dota2.
---
i7-4770k | EVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
Samsung 840 120GB SSD | CM Storm Enforcer | Corsair TX 750 Watt
#4stmstrPosted 8/15/2013 8:04:49 PM
Play the LoL wiki for some time, then play the game.

I haven't played it, but I hear this is one of those games where doing your "homework" really helps.
#5anonymous46773Posted 8/15/2013 8:05:30 PM
League of Legends is probably the easiest to grasp. I'd say just look up some videos and builds for your champion. Eventually, you'll get the hang of it.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#6Fenix7Posted 8/15/2013 8:10:48 PM
Awesomenauts is the only Moba I got into, the others have a much steeper leaning curve.
#7OmegaFlare18Posted 8/15/2013 8:12:53 PM
Dota 2
Smite

...and that's it
---
Steam ID: mystr_E
http://heroesofnewerth.com/ref.php?r=Z11U9T0Q
#8JavelinPosted 8/15/2013 9:02:27 PM
Justice98405 posted...
even against the opening bots for training or whatever, it was really tough and more involving than I kinda wanted.

That being said, I'm still interested in the genre. Should I just go back to League and give it another chance?

These games have a steep learning curve, so you should expect it to be tough at first. If you're not looking to put the time into the game to get good at it (and it may take a while), then it may not be the genre for you. Not trying to put you down, just being honest. It really takes a dedicated player. There's a lot of knowledge that you just won't be able to take in when you start, that the experienced players will punish you for not knowing. You will fail. A lot. But if you don't let that faze you, and you pay attention, you can learn something from every failure, and you can get better.

TL;DR it won't be pick-up-and-play, you will need to play a lot, and you will need to focus on what you're doing the entire time.

And any other good Free 2 Play MOBA's aside from League of Legends to give a try and why?

Dota 2, because it's the best one. Also, the community is nicer than LoL's -- you'll still take a fair amount of grief (as in any online game) but the system Valve put in place is pretty good at controlling abusive players. More so than in LoL, anyway.
---
NOW PLAYING: Torchlight II, Dota 2, Crusader Kings II
#9Mudkip57Posted 8/15/2013 9:16:57 PM
Super Monday Night Combat
#10_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/15/2013 9:20:29 PM
I would just go for DOTA2. To me it is the most fun one. Sure, it is not the most accessible, but there are so many players just starting to play, and you will be placed in the beginner bracket, you will be alright.
---
I5 760 | GTX 560 Ti | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H