This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It seems like game reviews should be distributed in a normal distribution, no?

#21LenneValkiryePosted 8/15/2013 11:36:55 PM
Short answer: vocal minorities. Don't pay much attention to them.
#22Reginleif20Posted 8/16/2013 12:06:43 AM
BendoHendo posted...
Serious thread, skip to the TL;DR if you have attention span problems.

Or at least something similar? Approximately a mean score of 5.0/10 and normally distributed?

But they aren't.

By that, I mean the average game it seems should be around a 5.0/10, and most games (say 68%) of games fall between 3.0/10 and 7.0/10, and around 28% are either between 1.0 and 3.0 OR 7.0 and 9.0, and the final %4 falling between EITHER 0.0/10 and 1.0/10, OR 9.0/10 and 10.0/10.

I know I didn't articulate that well, but basically it seems like game reviews should follow this distribution

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Standard_deviation_diagram.svg

But most game reviewers do not use the lower numbers very often and far, far too frequently give out 8, 9's and 10's.

In fact, given sufficient hype, a game is almost guaranteed to score at least a 7/10 even if there are significant number of complaints about its quality.

For instance, Mass Effect 3, which granted I have not played, was universally criticized by gamers upon release....yet magically has a 92% rating on gamerankings. This isn't a thread about ME 3, but the general problem of not-so-outstanding games receiving outstanding scores all too frequently.

It seems like games should be reviewed something similar to this where:

1 - horrendous
2 - terrible
3 - bad
4- below average
5 - exactly average
6 - above average
7 - good
8 - great
9 - excellent
10 - outstanding

Given this, we'd expect most games to fall between 3/10 and 7/10....but they just don't. They are skewed towards higher, inflated scores.

TL; DR Why aren't game review scores distributed as we would expect - normally distributed with mean of 5.0.....and instead distributed with a strong skew towards high scores?

--

Why do you even care about these "pro" reviews
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
#23LenneValkiryePosted 8/16/2013 12:10:30 AM
Reginleif20 posted...

Why do you even care about these "pro" reviews

I'll take professional reviews over user reviews anyday.
Sure, they might be paid, but at least they don't subtract up to 5 points from the score a game deserves for subjective and pathetic reasons such as, "they removed X character", "I like *insert 15-year old game here* more", "I hate DLC" and so on.