The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's your opinion on HoMM IV?

#1Chaos_MissilePosted 8/16/2013 3:33:21 AM
Been wanting to try it out for a while.

My fav faction, Necropolis/Death, looks pretty awesome with the signature Bone Dragon actually being as powerful as the other ultimate level creatures: http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/heroes4/creatures_death.shtml

On a slightly related note, a random browse through Wiki brought me news of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Might_%26_Magic_X:_Legacy

Had a O_O moment since Ubi decided to continue a series where the previous game was over 12 years ago.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#2FeatherwindPosted 8/16/2013 4:09:54 AM(edited)
I have not played it that much but as far as I know fundamentally there isn't anything wrong with the game (though this can be said for almost any game). After all people must play games for the "fluff" so if you like the art or the feel then go for it. I personally don't however and my friends prefer 3 or 5 too.

The Necropolis faction is interesting in both HoMM3 and 5. In fact out of the factions in HoMM5 Necropolis is my favorite. The Bone Dragons while cool aren't always as exciting as the other high level creatures though. I don't they were handled well in either game. While they are intentionally "bland" in their abilities and weaker than the others they also feel forgettable or even ignorable which shouldn't have happened imo.

I've played two of the Might & Magic games - 3 and Mandate of Heaven - but I didn't really like either. Seeing a game done in their style could be refreshing now though. At least it could stand out.
#3Chaos_Missile(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 9:26:47 PM
Random bump.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#4Solis_InvictusPosted 8/16/2013 11:28:45 PM
Kind of wonky, and I don't like it nearly as much as III or V. Neither do many other people, for what that's worth.

There are three things that stand out to me in Heroes IV.

1 - Your hero is an actual unit on the battlefield. I didn't like how this worked out. It wasn't awful, but I was happy to see Heroes V drop that mechanic.

2 - The story is good! This has the strongest story of any Heroes game, IMO. Unfortunately...

3 - The campaigns are pretty terrible. Just about every mission, it seems, is set up so that you have to fight through the entire map, while the enemy has a one-way portal straight from there main base to the heart of your territory.

If you're familiar with the other Heroes games, I'd rank them something like this:

V
III
VI
II
IV
I
#5Solis_InvictusPosted 8/17/2013 1:10:39 AM
Oh, hey, but if you're one of the cool kids like me who favors Necropolis, I have to say that they get a pretty sweet skill combination in this game. Learning nature magic and demonology (which the Necropolis campaign hero is geared toward, IIR) teaches you some powerful summoning spells. I remember the Necropolis army itself being pretty underwhelming, though. I would definitely recommend V or III over this game any day of the week.
#6ggf162Posted 8/17/2013 2:23:47 AM
Eh, didn't really think much of it. Glad I only paid $1,50 for it, though,
---
My name is Ivan I like you