This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do I need to always run Precision X with my EVGA GTX 670?

#1KazmakistanPosted 8/16/2013 6:09:35 AM
I was playing Borderlands 2 on high settings yesterday.. got temps of 80 C. But my card wasn't really doing much until I ran Precision X and the temps started lowering.

I had a weird situation with Crysis 3 where the graphics got screwed up and it might have been from high temps.

Do I need to always use Precision X when playing games on the highest settings? Or not?

Should I be concerned that it reaches that temperature while playing while not on Precision X? What temperature should it be around?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDa8ny2Fuds
#2wildog2006Posted 8/16/2013 6:18:38 AM
set a custom fan curve in precision x. the default one sucks
---
i7-3770k ~ EVGA GTX670 4GB ~ Intel DZ77GAL-70k ~ 8GB Corsair Vengeance ~ 180GB SSD + 1TB HDD ~ Corsair 850W PSU ~ Silverstone Redline
PSN/360/Steam ~ irysh9
#3PhilOnDezPosted 8/16/2013 6:21:21 AM
Most games run at reduced performance when you minimize them and modern heatsinks are really effective. I ran OCCT for 6 hours and within a minute of the test being over my CPU had dropped from 80-85 down to my typical idle.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#4thatfool12GsPosted 8/16/2013 9:57:02 AM
I run it at all times unless I'm playing Skyrim as having it open while playing will crash the game at load.

If you don't have it on the card will run really hot. You can go in and set the fan to run higher and then close the app and the settings will remain locked on, but I think you need it running to take advantage of the dynamic fan curve.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#5Psykic PetrolPosted 8/16/2013 11:17:12 AM
There is no harm in having it run, unless for some reason you'd rather have the higher temps than a louder fan. I recommend you set it to start with windows & start minimised so you don't have to think about it.
---
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0