This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Easy way to switch audio playback device?

#1MyDogSkipPosted 8/16/2013 6:11:53 AM
I have a TV connected as a secondary display and I mostly use it for watching video. I have computer speakers that I use when the TV is either off or in use for another purpose. Otherwise, I use the TV's speakers to output my computer's audio. The issue is when the TV is on, I have to set my default playback device to my speakers in order to use them. I have to switch back when I want the computer to use the TV's speakers. It'd be nice if there were some script or utility or something that would do this with a simple keypress. Alternatively, a smarter solution would be nice. If somehow the computer could recognize when the TV is on but the proper HDMI source isn't selected (unlikely) or perhaps if I could have content on a specific screen play audio through a certain device. For instance, content on my monitor would use the computer speakers and content on the TV could use the TV speakers. So, does anyone have any advice?
---
i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz | ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 | ASUS DCII GTX 670 | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Antec EA-650W | 120GB Intel 520 | 1TB HDD | Corsair 400R | Hyper 212+ | 2560x1440
#2aak57Posted 8/16/2013 6:19:08 AM
There are programs that will allow you to switch playback devices via button press, but I can't remember them offhand. A quick google will yield them though.

I dunno if your alternative solution is actually possible though.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#3MyDogSkip(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 6:32:15 AM
Honestly I was hoping more for the alternative solution but a keypress is fine. Probably should have just Googled it. I found a page with a couple of options; the one I'll use is an AutoHotKey script.

Link for future reference:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/33089-switch-default-playback-device-with-g-keys/
---
i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz | ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 | ASUS DCII GTX 670 | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Antec EA-650W | 120GB Intel 520 | 1TB HDD | Corsair 400R | Hyper 212+ | 2560x1440
#4WinpusPosted 8/16/2013 7:22:16 AM
I think the only way you're going to be able to output audio to different devices with different programs simultaneously is if they program itself allows you to select the audio device. Some programs, like media playback, will allow you to select the audio device they use regardless of default.