This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Guys stop giving away bundle keys

#11Mystical_NEETPosted 8/16/2013 7:40:41 AM
Also, every game other than BF3 can be enjoyed for free through alternative means, so consider yourself lucky people are paying at all.

BTW, don't believe the hype - EA IS getting a cut of all this, you just don't get to decide it via the Bundle.
#12Ch3wy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 7:40:53 AM
Mystical_NEET posted...
IronSasquatch posted...
Mystical_NEET posted...
Yeah, we're only $100 away from curing cancer and rescuing another homeless child!

Lol get real TC. These charities are things you donate to in order to feel good about yourself, not actually make a difference. Your money is going to the salary of the charity employees.

Yeah, because $4.8 million doesn't make any difference at all. >_>

Perhaps it does or will somehow. But we have no way of verifying that, so as far as we're concerned we are basically gambling our money on humanity.

"Yeah, this Humble Bundle's gonna be the one that cures cancer and stops gay lynching in Russia"

I mean seriously? Money is not the solution to all of life's problems.

I don't understand how more money is supposed to help alternative lifestyles become more accepted, there are free ways to do this, but I mean cancer research does require money, and so does medical care and disaster recovery.

You're allowed to research these charities you know.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#13Mystical_NEETPosted 8/16/2013 7:47:30 AM
So you guys think each cent brings us one step closer to a cure? Because if that's true we should be able to quantify exactly how much money needs to be spent to cure cancer.

Otherwise, you admit that it's not cut-and-dry and every key giveaway is NOT a "lost piece of research" (just like every pirated game is not a "lost sale"). And you should seriously rethink yourselves before criticizing people who are smart with their money.
#14Ch3wy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 7:54:45 AM
Mystical_NEET posted...
So you guys think each cent brings us one step closer to a cure? Because if that's true we should be able to quantify exactly how much money needs to be spent to cure cancer.

Otherwise, you admit that it's not cut-and-dry and every key giveaway is NOT a "lost piece of research" (just like every pirated game is not a "lost sale"). And you should seriously rethink yourselves before criticizing people who are smart with their money.

Do you have any idea how medical research works? It's expensive as hell and new grants are constantly needed. I'm not sure why you think that more money doesn't make a difference just because we can't predict the future.

Obviously a cent isn't going to make a difference but it adds up when there are millions of people donating to it. Imagine if half those people had the same mindset as you.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#15KidInTheHallPosted 8/16/2013 7:57:10 AM
Yeah I haven't given any of my extra keys away. Beggars are disgusting.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#16Mystical_NEETPosted 8/16/2013 8:04:38 AM
I'm not sure why you think that more money doesn't make a difference just because we can't predict the future.

I can't predict the future, but I can sure look at the past.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/02/07/where_do_the_millions_of_cancer_research_dollars_go_every_year.html

B-But this millions of dollars will be different... right? There's a small possibility, but I wouldn't bet on it. And they're already using my taxes for this stuff so why should I spend a single extra cent How about instead of sinking money into a magic cure, we stop people from smoking and doing things that lead to it in the first place? Oh wait... they use the taxes from cigarettes too. Irony?

Obviously a cent isn't going to make a difference but it adds up when there are millions of people donating to it. Imagine if half those people had the same mindset as you.

They would be either 1 dollar richer, or they would do research and actually spend their money wisely. Not all charity is equal.
#17ThePCElitistPosted 8/16/2013 8:11:54 AM(edited)
Mystical_NEET posted...
I'm not sure why you think that more money doesn't make a difference just because we can't predict the future.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/02/07/where_do_the_millions_of_cancer_research_dollars_go_every_year.html

B-But this millions of dollars will be different... right? There's a small possibility, but I wouldn't bet on it. And they're already using my taxes for this stuff so why should I spend a single extra cent How about instead of sinking money into a magic cure, we stop people from smoking and doing things that lead to it in the first place? Oh wait... they use the taxes from cigarettes too. Irony?

They would be either 1 dollar richer, or they would do research and actually spend their money wisely. Not all charity is equal.

Because cancer is only caused by smoking. God damn you're so ignorant.

Ignored
---
#18Mystical_NEETPosted 8/16/2013 8:16:02 AM
we stop people from smoking and doing things that lead to it in the first place?

and doing things that lead to it

Glad to see you can't read. And while it won't stop every case obviously, it's better than throwing away millions with nothing to show for it.

"OMG your ignored" has never been a credible rebuttal BTW. It just means you're upset over not being able to defend your position.
#19Ch3wy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 8:16:34 AM
Mystical_NEET posted...

You think with less money, we're going to suddenly start allocating the percentages of what goes into which type of research differently? It's quite obvious that breast cancer is going to have the most money into it, there are constantly charities donating specifically into that research. This isn't one of those.

Once again, do you have any idea how medical research works? Do you even know anyone in the field who needs to get grants in order to do certain work, or are you just formulating in your head how you think it works?

Not to mention that cancer research isn't even the only charity here...
---
#20g7g7g7g7Posted 8/16/2013 8:18:59 AM
IronSasquatch posted...
Mystical_NEET posted...
Yeah, we're only $100 away from curing cancer and rescuing another homeless child!

Lol get real TC. These charities are things you donate to in order to feel good about yourself, not actually make a difference. Your money is going to the salary of the charity employees.

Yeah, because $4.8 million doesn't make any difference at all. >_>

Having worked for oxfam, you can give 80-90% of that money to the lawyers and admin fee's. Maybe 5% will go to the frontline.
---
You never see people quoting each other in sigs anymore. - Adam Laz