This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Horrible screen tearing in Sims 3

#1PhilOnDezPosted 8/16/2013 7:29:34 AM
To start, I have a 3570k at 4.4ghz and a 670 at stock.

Basically, no matter what settings I tweak I just get tearing to the point that I can't even enjoy the game, it will be near the center and tearing 4-5 inches several times a second if I leave the refresh rate setting at default. Changing to 59 or 60hz helps but I still get close to an inch of tearing near the bottom.

Windowed mode has the same amount of tearing as 59/60hz mode.

I've tried vsync via nvidia control panel, frame rate caps (59/60) via PrecisionX.

I've restarted the game between every setting I tweaked. Is there anything I'm missing?
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#2temgunPosted 8/16/2013 7:38:19 AM
What file are you trying to force to use the vsync? There are plenty of EXEs, but forcing the vsync to some of them doesn't do anything. I think it was TS3W.exe, but try forcing the vsync to every exe file there is in the Sims 3 folder, that should work if anything. Nvidia control panel vsync works just fine with me.
#3SmakkyofacePosted 8/16/2013 7:41:58 AM
Run the game, alt tab to task manager, find whatever exe sims is running, open file location, find the exact same exe on nvidia control panel, force vsync.

Or you could also run in windowed mode which gets rid of all screen tearing issues for me.
---
Xbox Live / PSN / Steam: Smakkyoface
i7 3770k @ 4.66ghz, 24GB DDR3 1600, Evga Gtx 670 FTW.
#4PhilOnDez(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 7:42:08 AM
I just did the lazy thing and enabled it for my entire system lol. I'll see what forcing it on the individual files does.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
#5PhilOnDez(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 7:50:41 AM
I turned off global vsync, enabled it for TS3W (What I found in my task manager) and enabled it for that, according to precisionx I'm still getting close to 180 FPS.
---
#6PhilOnDez(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 7:58:07 AM(edited)
I restarted after tweaking its profile in NCP and it looks like it might be working now, thanks for the help if this has me sorted out.

E: Well, no more tearing but scrolling still isn't smoothe. PX says I'm pretty steadily between 59-60 FPS so I'll have to play with settings some more.
---
#7turbovirginPosted 8/16/2013 8:13:09 AM
I'm having the same issue in mirrors edge. Damn EA
---
Posted using GameFlux
#8SmakkyofacePosted 8/16/2013 8:40:22 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
I restarted after tweaking its profile in NCP and it looks like it might be working now, thanks for the help if this has me sorted out.

E: Well, no more tearing but scrolling still isn't smoothe. PX says I'm pretty steadily between 59-60 FPS so I'll have to play with settings some more.

The Sims 3 will never be smooth, too much simulation and objects swapping around all the time. I don't think anyone's gotten the chugging to stop no matter how powerful their pc is. Some people run it on ramdisk with super processors and titans and it still chugs. just the nature of the game.
---
Xbox Live / PSN / Steam: Smakkyoface
i7 3770k @ 4.66ghz, 24GB DDR3 1600, Evga Gtx 670 FTW.
#9romsnbombsPosted 8/16/2013 9:52:20 AM
Smakkyoface posted...
The Sims 3 will never be smooth, too much simulation and objects swapping around all the time. I don't think anyone's gotten the chugging to stop no matter how powerful their pc is. Some people run it on ramdisk with super processors and titans and it still chugs. just the nature of the game.

Indeed, it is merely poor memory management.

But I disagree that this is the nature of a game of this kind. Assets loading can be done in a way that doesn't make a game stutter.
#10ygfbvPosted 8/16/2013 10:17:35 AM
3booter can help a bit with the screen tearing iirc.
---
http://www.anime-planet.com/images/users/signatures/ygfbv.jpg