This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does downloading a torrent file slow my internet speed to a crawl?

#1Oxn518Posted 8/16/2013 11:34:17 AM
Even if it goes no where near my max speed?

If i dl a file directly my web pages load fine though

What can be done? Something to do with ports?
---
i5 3570k | XFX 6870 | 8gig DDR3 ram
#2nooboqPosted 8/16/2013 11:35:39 AM
PIRATE!
Sorry about that, but I just had to.
The torrent file is being downloaded using your network, thus, it will be using more of your bandwidth. What you can do is go into task manager, and set the priority of uTorrent/Bittorrent to Low. It will download slower, but you will be able to browse the internet.
#3ShubPosted 8/16/2013 11:39:20 AM
Typically, using BitTorrent will not only cause your downstream bandwidth to be used, but also your upstream bandwidth. If you're uploading at the maximum speed your connection supports, that'll cause slowness. Capping your BitTorrent upload speed to 80% of your maximum upload speed will take care of that.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4kbe2k2Posted 8/16/2013 11:39:41 AM
Limit your upload speed.
#5Retro_CuddlesPosted 8/16/2013 11:47:10 AM
nooboq posted...
PIRATE!
The torrent file is being downloaded using your network, thus, it will be using more of your bandwidth. What you can do is go into task manager, and set the priority of uTorrent/Bittorrent to Low. It will download slower, but you will be able to browse the internet.

what? lots of people use torrents now as its better than downloading from a browser. hell i just bought that humble bundle pack and i had the choice of browser download or torrent for the soundtracks it came with.
---
My IQ is 20 below genius, so im almost genius
R.I.P Paul Bearer
#6MarceloSampaioPosted 8/16/2013 11:50:33 AM
Retro_Cuddles posted...
nooboq posted...
PIRATE!

what? lots of people use torrents now as its better than downloading from a browser. hell i just bought that humble bundle pack and i had the choice of browser download or torrent for the soundtracks it came with.

He was just trolling you, you don't have to make excuses. In fact, the fact that you ARE making excuses is very fishy.

People who use torrents own NO explanations to anyone.
---
:3
If you accept Gaben as your true lard and savior, put this on your sig. :)
#7WinpusPosted 8/16/2013 11:51:02 AM
There was also a time a few years back where ISPs were able to see what kind of traffic you were sending. While they wouldn't be able to see what the packets were specifically, they could tell they were torrent packets, and they would throttle your speed down as some kind of passive aggressive anti-pirate measure. My ISP did that for about 2 years, they don't anymore. I could only download torrent files at roughly 10% my max download speed and all my devices would lose connectivity.
#8PraetorXynPosted 8/16/2013 11:51:14 AM
The thing I hate about torrents is when they stop being seeded you're screwed.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#9Retro_CuddlesPosted 8/16/2013 12:03:53 PM
MarceloSampaio posted...
Retro_Cuddles posted...
nooboq posted...
PIRATE!

He was just trolling you, you don't have to make excuses. In fact, the fact that you ARE making excuses is very fishy.

People who use torrents own NO explanations to anyone.

ill admit i use torrents for tv shows as, well they are free to begin with. but they are not available in the country i live in, nor is there any online thing i can pay to watch with. well there is just not in my country. obviously its for new eps then i can get the dvd once its released.

hell in 2008 i torrented slipknots all hope is gone cd. it didnt matter as they them selves said they didnt care but due to the fact i had already ordered the special edition of the cd and couldnt be bothered waiting for the piss poor mail service in my country. so i didnt really pirate as i had already ordered the special edition. i just wanted to listen to it instead of waiting for the actual disc to arrive.

so yeh torrenting, but not pirating as i still pay. just nice to have back ups and not wait on terrible cyprus mail. how bad is it? the mail man was throwing my neighbours packages like a frisbee last week.
---
My IQ is 20 below genius, so im almost genius
R.I.P Paul Bearer
#10DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/16/2013 2:57:51 PM(edited)
A lot of ISPs are throttling connection speeds based on torrent traffic lately. Better yet, most of them charge you as if you were running the full speed without providing it during that time.
I had some issues with Shaw over that. Torrents started going at 10kb down, but would run up my usage exceptionally fast. Impossibly fast, even. Like, 50% faster than if I'd run a full speed download.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64