This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does downloading a torrent file slow my internet speed to a crawl?

#21zerodefectPosted 8/16/2013 7:20:06 PM
k debonair posted...
ISP's don't need do DPI to detect torrent traffic anymore. They don't look at the port or protocol or anything.

As soon as your IP sends out 30 (or some large number) simultaneous requests to random IPs, they just assume it's a torrent and throttle you regardless of what you're actually doing.

No they do not.

I've worked for many ISP's (Comcast, Rogers, Bell) and I'm currently employed in network operations for an other major TPIA. There are plenty of legitimate situations where many TCP connections would be opened simultaneously and none of these ISPs traffic shape based on "number of connections".
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU
#22Fade2black001Posted 8/16/2013 7:30:34 PM
HEH. I can download torrent at my max speed and browse just fine. Of course when I do this it compensates the amount of bandwidth needed so it can do other things that require the use of bandwidth such as browsing. This will of course make my download slower but by no means will it slow everything else down for me. I think you got crappy internet or something.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.