This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need advice about alienware, and the specs.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Need advice about alienware, and the specs.
3 years ago#1
Alright, I did purchase a super alienware. I think it is a bit overkill and pricey, so I canceled it and am thinking of something better on a budget.

For 1400(I know you can build it cheaper)

It comes with an i7-4770 processor.
8 gigs DDR ram
And I want to get the 670 as opposed to the really expensive 690.

For 1080 gaming, can I generally expect to be able to run full AA? How future proof do you think this pc will be?
3 years ago#2
Should I upgrade to windows 8 for free? I have heard nothing but bad about it.
3 years ago#3
Don't get a 670 now. Get a 770 or 780. Also, you might want the i7 4770k if you want to overclock or might want to in the future. Otherwise, the normal 4770 is fine.
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
3 years ago#4
Yeah definitely get a 770 or 780 if you can.
i5 4670k| 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3| EVGA GTX 780|Alienware m17x
"You can't not pool as Zerg" - FatBlackCat
3 years ago#5
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Yeah definitely get a 770 or 780 if you can.

Under the alienware 51, the only options are 660 and 670.

Do you think the 770 will make much of a difference? I keep bringing up Crysis 3 because it is a technical benchmark, and I actually love the game despite everyone else feeling it is an inferior FPS.

I imagine I will not get any form of AA on it if I want to run on 1080p.
3 years ago#6
You're overestimating how demanding Crysis 3 is... just set AA to 2x and it'll run fine. Typically you won't notice a difference between 2x and higher levels of AA at that resolution.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
3 years ago#7
Shub posted...
You're overestimating how demanding Crysis 3 is... just set AA to 2x and it'll run fine. Typically you won't notice a difference between 2x and higher levels of AA at that resolution.

So with the specs I named, I don't really need anything else? I am on other messageboards where people are talking about using two 670s. I wonder what the need for that is.

If a 670 can run Crysis 3 at 1080p with 2AA.. that sounds amazing. Considering we are talking about very high settings.
3 years ago#8
Windows 8.1 has fixed a lot of the original gripes about 8, ie. the Start Menu
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
3 years ago#9
Windows 8 is awesome. Nothing wrong with it to be honest.
i5 4670k| 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3| EVGA GTX 780|Alienware m17x
"You can't not pool as Zerg" - FatBlackCat
3 years ago#10
I'm about to order it now. So the 6700 is still a good card for running say, Crysis 3 and even the new Painkiller?

Or Diablo 3..

I would like to use AA and high settings for games. I know there are some games like Dead Space 3 that do not look much different on pc.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Need advice about alienware, and the specs.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived